What is the best anti-virus program available?

a neighbour and I were talking last week about anti-virus programs after I told him I finally gave up on my pc and got a brand new laptop because my pc was old and full of viruses and crap, to scrub, upgrade and get windows key it would have cost me more than to get a new computer. I told him right now I have... show more a neighbour and I were talking last week about anti-virus programs after I told him I finally gave up on my pc and got a brand new laptop because my pc was old and full of viruses and crap, to scrub, upgrade and get windows key it would have cost me more than to get a new computer. I told him right now I have McAfee and had bought 1 year for after the trial. We got talking and he mentioned another name, I can't remember what it was though. It costs about $100cnd and gives you protection for 3 computers. He said it is the best out because it finds blocks and repairs for viruses weeks or months before big name programs. Said Norton's is bad after microsoft bought it, avg is slow at getting updates for viruses and mcafee is alright, but just made the top 10. I'm not a fan of free when it comes to protecting my computer so we don't use avg or any other free online scans. To me it just opens your computer up to more possibility to viruses and crap to get on there.
Update: some of you must have not read what I wrote. I do not like free programs when it comes to the security of my computer, and I think it was bit defender my neighbour was talking about, that sounds very familiar now.