vin
vin asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Is First Lady Michelle Obama above the law?

First lady Michelle Obama appears to have violated Illinois law -- when she engaged in political discussion at a polling place!

The drama began after Mrs. Obama stopped off at the Martin Luther King Center on the south side of Chicago to cast an early vote.

After finishing at the machine, Obama went back to the desk and handed in her voting key.

She let voters including electrician Dennis Campbell, 56, take some photos.

"She was telling me how important it was to vote to keep her husband's agenda going," Campbell said.

According to a pool reporter from the CHICAGO SUN-TIMES at the scene, the conversation took place INSIDE the voting center, not far from the booths.

Illinois state law -- Sec. 17-29 (a) -- states: "No judge of election, pollwatcher, or other person shall, at any primary or election, do any electioneering or soliciting of votes or engage in any political discussion within any polling place [or] within 100 feet of any polling place."

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash2.htm

She didn't. It's another lie.

...you see Drudge left this key point OUT of the article they copied...

"Obama abided by election laws that prohibit electioneering within 100 feet of a polling place.

She did pose for pictures and told one voter: "Make sure you get everybody out there voting. This one counts, as much as the other one.""

Omitting key facts...what Republicans do best!

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/clout_st/2010/...

Why in the world do people believe these lies?

Or maybe you will believe Fox News?

"But did Obama actually break the law?

It all depends on what Obama actually said to the group of voters. Had she specifically told Campbell he needed to vote for a candidate who would support President Obama's agenda, she would indeed have violated Illinois election laws, as would someone wearing a campaign button or distributing political literature inside a polling place. But according to a spokesman for the Chicago Board of Elections, Obama made no such statement.

Rather, the elections official said, Obama told the group how important it is to vote early and vote in general, a perfectly appropriate suggestion at a polling place. Campbell's characterization of the conversation may simply have included his political position, that he voted "to keep her husband's agenda going," but not that the first lady had specifically encouraged Campbell to support Obama-friendly candidates.

Even if one of the other voters had mentioned their support for President Obama and the first lady agreed, she would still not be in violation of election statutes because she would not, in that case, have initiated the political conversation. The Chicago Board of Elections has not, at this time, made an inquiry into the matter.

Pallasch, of the Chicago Sun-Times, told Fox News the conversation seemed completely innocuous based on Campbell's recollection. "When I wrote the pool report and the story, it did not occur to me that Mr. Campbell's second-hand account of his mutually agreeable conversation with Mrs. Obama might constitute a violation of the law," Pallasch wrote in an email responding to a Fox News request."

Read more: http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com/2010/10/14/first...

Another tempest in a teacup.

Yes it does look like she broke the law. I wonder what the penalty is. I'm betting its a small fine. They should drag her into court and make her pay it in the interest of sensible government. I wonder what you guys would say if the one of the Obamas' committed as serious offense, like outing a CIA agent.

Now that I look at the law you might might not have anything on her. It says "during the election". I wonder what the official definition of election is? I'm not convinced that early voting counts as the election.

it would be useful in case you informed anybody what that regulation became. Poorly designed question. yet I appeared it up. No discussing politics or campaigning at a polling place. sounds like "word of mouth" evidence published purely on Conservative Drudge record. i've got seen no particularly evidence. yet for argument's sake, what if she suggested "politics" at a polling place? That sounds like an excellent at worst. it is on the point of jaywalking or parking too long in a loading zone. Fail.

Apparently, yes. Infuriating.

Do you really think they care about the law? Obama is sending out SEIU thugs to harass and intimidate his opponent's supporters at polling stations.

Yes she can and will get away with that, and no mention of it anywhere, bet my bottom dollar on it.

If you mean can she break the law and not fear repercussions?

Yes.

Not one word will be mentioned, same as the Black Panther voter intimidation.

The "elite class" usually are.

She has No Rules.

Oh! How shocking!!