What is the difference between a Guaranteed loan program and a direct loan program through the USDA?

I live in Washington state and income wise we qualify for both wondering which was the best option... I have a credit score of 598 and plan on paying down my credit cards to increase it before applying. My boyfriend doesn't know his... but he has paid off a 3000 dollar car, one credit card that went to... show more I live in Washington state and income wise we qualify for both wondering which was the best option... I have a credit score of 598 and plan on paying down my credit cards to increase it before applying. My boyfriend doesn't know his... but he has paid off a 3000 dollar car, one credit card that went to collections, and has made consistent on time payments on his 2010 honda civic.But he still owes about 700 dollars for an old bank account. Maybe an FHA home loan so we can buy in non rural areas??? I don't know we need all the advice we can get PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!