Is it legal for someone to record a conversation?

I was at a "friend's" house who I have fallen out of terms with over a case that he thinks I should report to the DA but due to privacy issues, the advice of my therapist and family I am choosing not to. I was sitting in his living room with him while he asked tons of questions about the case and... show more I was at a "friend's" house who I have fallen out of terms with over a case that he thinks I should report to the DA but due to privacy issues, the advice of my therapist and family I am choosing not to. I was sitting in his living room with him while he asked tons of questions about the case and since I have known him for a very long time and thought he was trying to help, I opened up and told him the details. As I got up to leave, he put away a large microphone that was behind me, which he said he had put out to record some music as it was next to his piano but I had never seen it in that location (usually it hangs over the strings and it was near the keyboard which was right behind my head).

I'm tempted to ask if he was recording our private conversation but on the other hand am afraid he'll think I'm paranoid if he wasn't. If he was, is that legal and would he be allowed to take it to the DA or police without my consent because he's really pressuring me to press charges when I want to just move on with my life and am not strong enough to go through a long grueling trial to ruin someone else's life.
Update: It's in California.