What EXACTLY is it that makes the AKC a "legitimate" registry?

Please don't babble on about "shows"....explain how a dog registered with AKC is any different than one I register with any other registry...or a registry I create myself for that matter. What kind of "quality control" insures it's legitimacy? Those who know better need not answer except... show more Please don't babble on about "shows"....explain how a dog registered with AKC is any different than one I register with any other registry...or a registry I create myself for that matter. What kind of "quality control" insures it's legitimacy? Those who know better need not answer except for entertainment purposes. I'd like to hear from the, "AKC is the only legitimate registry" crowd.
Update: I Like Cereal......you said "You can also ensure the health and general attitude of your dog". How exactly can you do that?? Please...If I asked about registering my dog with ---KC, I'd get 50 people yelling about how the AKC is the only legit registry. Where ARE YOU PEOPLE? Please, please,... show more I Like Cereal......you said "You can also ensure the health and general attitude of your dog".

How exactly can you do that??

Please...If I asked about registering my dog with ---KC, I'd get 50 people yelling about how the AKC is the only legit registry. Where ARE YOU PEOPLE? Please, please, please explain!
Update 2: Another one for I Like Cereal....HOW do you trace the lineage when so many mixed breeds have been registered as pure, simply because someone has 2 registration numbers and some $$..?? If I take the number from a male GSD and a female GSD, I can register a litter...even if the litter was never born. I claim to... show more Another one for I Like Cereal....HOW do you trace the lineage when so many mixed breeds have been registered as pure, simply because someone has 2 registration numbers and some $$..??

If I take the number from a male GSD and a female GSD, I can register a litter...even if the litter was never born. I claim to have 15 puppies...I get 15 sets of paper. I then sell the neighbors cats as AKC registered GSD's. Can you dispute their "purity"? With most people, they're aren't bright enough to know if their dog is mixed, or even the same type of animal. So, THEY continue breeding. Any concept of how much that has happened? I've found much better records scrawled on a kitchen cabinet in BumFuXX Czech Republic.
Update 3: Greek...it's been a long 3 weeks! I NEEDED this! haha

I wish they made pesticides this effective. Just ask a question and the "Experts" disappear. Amazing how the TD's magically show up though.
Update 4: Wonderful answer, MauveMe...but that's politics & power. It doesn't explain what they (AKC) does to be legitimate.