Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

What EXACTLY is it that makes the AKC a "legitimate" registry?

Please don't babble on about "shows"....explain how a dog registered with AKC is any different than one I register with any other registry...or a registry I create myself for that matter. What kind of "quality control" insures it's legitimacy? Those who know better need not answer except for entertainment purposes. I'd like to hear from the, "AKC is the only legitimate registry" crowd.

I Like Cereal......you said "You can also ensure the health and general attitude of your dog".

How exactly can you do that??

Please...If I asked about registering my dog with ---KC, I'd get 50 people yelling about how the AKC is the only legit registry. Where ARE YOU PEOPLE? Please, please, please explain!

Another one for I Like Cereal....HOW do you trace the lineage when so many mixed breeds have been registered as pure, simply because someone has 2 registration numbers and some $$..??

If I take the number from a male GSD and a female GSD, I can register a litter...even if the litter was never born. I claim to have 15 puppies...I get 15 sets of paper. I then sell the neighbors cats as AKC registered GSD's. Can you dispute their "purity"? With most people, they're aren't bright enough to know if their dog is mixed, or even the same type of animal. So, THEY continue breeding. Any concept of how much that has happened? I've found much better records scrawled on a kitchen cabinet in BumFuXX Czech Republic.

Greek...it's been a long 3 weeks! I NEEDED this! haha

I wish they made pesticides this effective. Just ask a question and the "Experts" disappear. Amazing how the TD's magically show up though.

Wonderful answer, MauveMe...but that's politics & power. It doesn't explain what they (AKC) does to be legitimate.

Favorite Answer

Well, I can't support the AKC or for that matter, any other registry, in stating that they are legitimate because really, the cards are with the breeders, not the registry they choose to utilize. It's the same for the working BC registry, the ABCA. There are bad breeders in both registries and if you want a healthy, well bred working dog out of ABCA lines, then you better do your research before you buy. Fortunately, those of us that prefer and support the working Border Collie, there are plenty of good lines out there to consider. Usually the breeder has a good history of farm work and successfully trialing their dogs in Open USBCHA. Once you've made connections, it's not hard to find a well bred working dog. But there are plenty of BYB within the ABCA, the AKC and the CKC, to name a few registries.

Do I want my next Border Collie to be ABCA registered? Absolutely. Am I going out and buying out of the first ABCA litter I can find when I'm ready? No way. I would like to see the next working potential pup to come along in about 3 years. My youngest BC is currently 2 yrs and I've been looking for that next breeder since before the last one was officially conceived. By the time I'm ready to settle on a pup, I will have had 5 yrs of searching for and researching the lines I want my next dog from.

Registration means nothing and it's your research that will get you what you want in the long run.

Great question!

Source(s): Owner of 3 working Border Collies

Personally, I'd only ever consider a registry to be worthwhile if it offered me any assurance of quality.

KC Breed registry gives little more than an assurance that the dog is of the breed it says it is, and that it has been bred within a closed stud book (btw - I don't consider a closed stud book to be an altogether positive thing). No guarantees of health, ability to do the job it was originally bred for, or even ability to do a different job. I assume that the AKC is the same.

Or course, I'll get countless TDs for saying this, perhaps a few people pointing out excellent examples of dogs who have had success in the show ring as well as the field. Thing is - that's not the point. The point is that there's nothing about KC reg to demand that standard. Puppy mills can, and do use the registry. Hey presto, a kite-mark of quality for an unbelievably poorly bred dog.

ISDS is a legitimate registry, since there are demands placed upon the ability of the dog. I could perhaps argue a case for the greyhound stud book, since it does make SOME demands upon the health of the dog. However, as a breed they're naturally healthy - not many poor examples of racing greyhounds exist.

I'm not aware of any other registry that I could argue even a flimsy case for.

I think AKC registration has a time and place. No it does nothing to ensure quality, however, in general it is one step to weed out the lowest quality breeders. No this doesn't mean anyone who doesn't register with the AKC is a crap breeder. However, for Joe Schmo down the street who is looking for a Shih Tzu puppy, telling him (among other things) to look for an AKC registered litter is just one step in helping him find a dog.

It at the very least 'ensures' the dog is purebred and won't allow people to just make up a breed on a whim and claim it purebred.

There are a million other things much more important than an AKC registration, but I think in general it is a piece of the puzzle that makes up a good breeder.

• AkPioneer2 years agoReport

AKC just registered a mixed dog as a pure Shih Tzu. I tried to stop it, but AKC didn t care. They are about the money and nothing else. They don t inspect the small breeders.

I don't believe that it is the *only* reputable registry.

However, from what I understand the AKC somehow magically ensures that all dogs registered are actually purebred. (Big bout of trust on the breeder from them)

Controlled, viewed breedings and what not.

Then again...that's why *just* an AKC registration means very little to me.

Whereas with the ConKC you could register just about anything even a stuffed animal with them as long as you send in the money.

Yeah I know, I don't know better I'm just bored and trying to answer what I can to make the time pass.

Plus I'd like to see some sort of educated answers and wanted to "bookmark" this question

• Remember Dutch NOTHING is the AKC's fault it's ALL the breeders!

I'm sorry I thought the AKC was also a governing body since they hold shows and decide who's dog is the best example!

FCI? If your dogs parents...BOTH parents aren't Koered, YOU DON'T GET PINK PAPERS! You get those white papers that everyone looks at you snooty for! Lmao!

If your dogs can't do the work, be rated "very good" at conformation, AND pass with what would be better than "OFA Fair" hips in the USA...their puppies can NOT be registered...now THAT'S a legitimate registry doing what they can to keep their dogs intact. Even so, even though they do so much! They still could never assure quality! But I'll take my chances with people who care more about dogs instead of rich people who soak their dogs in hairspray that was probably tested by spraying it in a puppy's eyes somewhere in Maylasia...

I have never seen anyone claim that AKC is 100% liar proof. However, in my opinion, AKC is the most reliable. They do encourage responsible canine breeding & ownership. They won't allow just ANY dog to be registered...with the exception of those who abuse their privileges...but the thing is..if you get caught...you lose your AKC privileges. The do require DNA testing after a certain amount of matings...which In my opinion, could be improved. No, AKC does not ensure quality/health...but that is really up to the breeders themselves. From my experience...most of the bottom of the barrel crap & breeders that I come across...are not using the AKC for several reasons. One being..they have already lost those privileges or two, they don't want to deal with the possibility of an inspection.

As far as being legit?...Yes, you send them the proper forms & money...they will send you the documents you paid for unless there is something fishy going on & they realize it before or during processing.

Let me put it this way...if I obtain a purebred dog with a pedigree that has been documented/recorded & traced..I would want it to be registrable with the AKC who has at least put forth the effort...not a registry like ConKC...where it is highly likely I'm not getting what I've been told I'm getting. All you have to do is send a picture of a billy goat & sure enough your Schnauzer/Rottweiler mix is Purebred.

There is one specific puppy miller not too far from me & she sells mixes as purebreds & the dumbasses who buy from her don't know any different...guess what, none of what she produces is AKC registrable....which is a good thing. She uses registries like ConKC & APRI which care nothing about ANYthing other than getting your money.

The AKC is no different than the CKC in Canada or the FCI or any of those Kennel Clubs. I definitely don't see it being the ONLY legitimate registry. If you are lumping all these Kennel Clubs into one catagory then I do believe they do serve a purpose. That purpose is to protect the standard of the breed or the breed type. Every dog registered can be traced back to grandparents and who then in turn can be traced back to their ancestors ensuring that the dogs are actually of purebred ancestry.

The AKC and CKC only take standards from breed clubs. Contrary to popular belief that these Kennel clubs "make the standard", the standard is actually formed by a breed club (ex. The IWCC or Irish Wolfhound Club of Canada.) So there really isn't anything from preventing you create your own breed and your own club and registry or standard.

ADD Greekman: I totally agree that purpose and function need to be a major priority when a breeding takes place. After all specific dog breeds were orginated for a purpose and to make that dog less useful by breeding for looks serves no purpose. I am not arguing that. I know many breed clubs associated with the CKC who do schutzhund and tracking and things associated with the breed's purpose. But ultimately those breed clubs make their own standards. Do I agree that these organizations need to take a closer look at the standards, absolutely! Do I think shows have become a whacked-out beauty contest for the most part, absolutely!

The AKC registers purebred dogs, so is shining badge of quality - even if in reality the puppies may have questionable genetic ancestry, & be scraping the barrel poor examples of the breed.

It has become generally accepted that AKC adds legitimacy to a litter & equates with the pups being well bred, so among people who don't delve any deeper than asking "will the pup be registered?” it is the norm among purchasers to ask for what they perceive to be an assurance of quality.....yeah right.

There is zero effective quality control as the good, the bad & the ugly breeders can register a litter, if the sire & dam were AKC registered & it is open to abuse as a litter can be credited to one b*tch on the paperwork & whelped by another.

I don't think the AKC is the only legitimate registry. I wouldn't go as far to say that it is okay for anyone and their brother to create a registry though...that's how you get Pomchis registered with Continental Kennel Club! lol

I don't know how the AKC works from top to bottom and I certainly won't pretend I do.

Correct me if I'm wrong (anyone), but doesn't the AKC and things like it take their "standards" from whatever the recognized breed club says are the standards?

Seems to me that the AKC seems more valuable to show dog people than others. I don't think people working in things like Schutzhund and things like it have any place in organizations like the AKC...they don't have room for things they don't understand I suppose. Or maybe they are scoffed at because their GSDs butts are trailing along the ground from some crappy show breeding.

The owner of the dog needs to know how to "operate" the dog, same way you can get into a car that's in perfect running order but if you don't know how to drive you won't have much luck making the car go anywhere. If the owner doesn't know how to maintain the training, the dog will soon become untrained again. Read more here https://tr.im/q7CMV

People seem to think that once a dog is trained, that's it. Not true. You must reinforce the dog's training every single day in some way. It's best if the owner and the dog go together to get trained. As a professional trainer once said to me "We can train any dog in 2 days. It takes longer to train the owners