My chocolate intrigue cake isn't swirling.?

My in-laws gave me this recipe for a chocolate intrigue cake. In the recipe you save 1/3 of the batter and add 3/4 cup chocolate syrup and 1/4 tsp baking soda and mix it. You put the 2/3 of the batter in the pan and then you add the chocolate mixture on top. The chocolate portion is supposed to swirl like a marble cake but mine isn't. It was my husband's grandmother's recipe but unfortunately she's no longer with us and nobody remembers what to do. Help!

Favorite Answer

Usually to swirl things like that you put blobs of it on the cake and swirl it with a spoon.

• Lynn M

You have to swirl it yourself. Just put spoon fulls of the batter all over the cake, then take a knife and draw it through the chocolate and the vanilla til you get a swirl pattern you like. the knife "collects" the Chocolate on the blade and draws in to the white batter, therefore making the swirl pattern

• Rab.

Hi Andrea, You dont say how you are adding it. I would put the 2/3rds in a bowl like you say then heat the syrup and add the baking soda - it will begin to foam - then add that to the mix in the bowl stirring or folding in with a long handled metal spoon (not wooden or plastic). I hope this helps,all the best. Rab

Source(s): I am a Chef,