My chocolate intrigue cake isn't swirling.?

My in-laws gave me this recipe for a chocolate intrigue cake. In the recipe you save 1/3 of the batter and add 3/4 cup chocolate syrup and 1/4 tsp baking soda and mix it. You put the 2/3 of the batter in the pan and then you add the chocolate mixture on top. The chocolate portion is supposed to swirl like a marble cake but mine isn't. It was my husband's grandmother's recipe but unfortunately she's no longer with us and nobody remembers what to do. Help!

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Usually to swirl things like that you put blobs of it on the cake and swirl it with a spoon.

• Lynn M
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

You have to swirl it yourself. Just put spoon fulls of the batter all over the cake, then take a knife and draw it through the chocolate and the vanilla til you get a swirl pattern you like. the knife "collects" the Chocolate on the blade and draws in to the white batter, therefore making the swirl pattern

• Rab.
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Hi Andrea, You dont say how you are adding it. I would put the 2/3rds in a bowl like you say then heat the syrup and add the baking soda - it will begin to foam - then add that to the mix in the bowl stirring or folding in with a long handled metal spoon (not wooden or plastic). I hope this helps,all the best. Rab

Source(s): I am a Chef,
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.