Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

Why is marijuana even illegal?

Its everywhere, LITERALLY i can almost guarantee that there is marijuana in 98% of cities in America so why even keep it legal? Prohibition obviously isn't working...if it was marijuana would be rare which it is far from.

Update:

because what?

Update 2:

Randomness i saw that documentary. it was very interesting but the only reason the lady got paranoid was she smoked WAY to much on her first time. THE BARTENDER TOLD HER TO TAKE 2 HITS AND WAIT but she disobeyed her and smoked more lol. But i try to get the highest THC content in my marijuana just because i am experienced and i can handle it.

Update 3:

And an experience marijuana smoker can tell the strength just by the quality and the smell.

Update 4:

metal you don't know ANYTHING about marijuana please do some research you cant even overdose on marijuana. i shouldn't even be dignifying your answer with a reply

Update 5:

lol my bad i didn't read the last sentence

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You should watch the documentary, "Should I smoke dope?"

It explains exactly why marijuana is kept illegal. A reporter went first hand into the smoking experience and documented her results.

In street marijuana, you NEVER know what it's laced with or how high the THC levels are.

Marijuana with high levels of THC can create extreme fear, paranoia and can make your actions very dangerous.

Marijuana has different strengths and it's not all giggles and doritos, like it has been stereotyped.

There are places where you can go and legally purchase marijuana and KNOW the kind and strength you are getting.

Source(s): Edit: In the wrong hands, which is where a lot of marijuana ends up, I'm sure that person will not care about following guidelines or knowing their boundaries. Just like people don't drink responsibly. I salute you for at least having knowledge, but most don't.
  • 1 decade ago

It's illegal because it is so dangerous when abused. It can severely impair judgment. Abuse of it is closely related to murders, rapes, and assaults (especially domestic violence). It hinders motor skills and can have deadly consequences when someone operates heavy machinery after using it. causes thousands of fatalities in car wrecks every year. In causes all kinds of chronic and deadly diseases (liver damage, cirrosis, heart disease, many cancers). It can be overdosed. It can be physically and psycologically addictive. Chronic use, abuse, and addiction destroys way too many lives.

And that is why alcohol is illegal. Hey, wait a minute...

• Shane
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

because the government hasn't figured out a way to be able to get their cut of the profit from sales.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Government can't put a tax on it even if they made it legal.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

because

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.