Donny
Lv 7
Donny asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 9 years ago

Who is the most underrated movie director ever?

BQ- Best ever?

BQ2- Most overrated?

pick your favorite movie from the above three question answers^

Update:

Burton is overrated but Scissorhands and Big Fish are two classics!

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Best Answer

Terry Gilliam. He's far better than Tim Burton, IMO, and he's one of the best filmmakers ever, but I rarely see him or his films brought up. Just look at his catalog; Brazil, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, 12 Monkeys, among so many more.

BQ: Do I even have to answer this Donny? SCORSESE!

BQ2: James Cameron

Gilliam - Brazil

Scorsese - Goodfellas

Cameron - Terminator 2: Judgment Day

• 9 years ago

I don't know who I'd say for most underrated. Maybe David Cronenberg? Some of his are Shivers, Rabid, The Brood, Scanners, Videodrome, The Fly, The Dead Zone, Dead Ringers, and Existenz.

BQ: ...Scorsese or Tarantino...

BQ2: Psh. Tim Burton or James Cameron.

Cronenberg: The Brood.

BQ: Goodfellas / Pulp Fiction or Inglorious Basterds.

BQ2: I seriously don't think I like any of their movies. Maybe The Nightmare Before Christmas because I liked it as a kid.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

David Cronenberg maybe. He deserves to have more talk than a lot of other directors.

Eastern promises deserved to be nominated for a best picture oscar in 2007. I mean, Juno got nominated...?! eastern promises was a far far better movie. An amazing movie. & it got overshadowed by an overrated quirkfest (that sounded a bit pretentious..Sorry if I offend any Juno fans)

BQ- Gregory Hoblit :p my favourite, but best ever would be David Cronenberg!

BQ2-Tim burton.

David Cronenberg-Eastern promises

BQ-Untraceable

BQ2-Sleepy Hollow

• 9 years ago

Milos Forman.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Amadeus, Man on the Moon, The People Vs. Larry Flint.

All great movies, but I never hear anyone talk about him. Sad to say I just found out about him today. I'm about to watch Ragtime, which he also directed.

BQ- The Coen Brothers

One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest, The Big Lebowski.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Cable
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

I think that Edward Zwick is an incredibly underrated director. He made The Last Samurai, GLory, Blood Diamond, and Courage under Fire all of which I thought were very good movies and I love The Last Samurai and especially Glory.

BQ- Scorsese- The Departed is my favorite but I don't think its his best particularly

BQ2- James Cameron- The Terminator. It didn't need ANY sequels.

• 9 years ago

The most underrated director would be Jason Reitman (Thank You For Smoking, Juno, and Up in the Air)

BQ- Scorsese, or Ford-Coppla

BQ2- Tim Burton or James Cameron

1- Thank you for smoking

2- Goodfellas, Godfather Part II

3- Edward scissor hands, T2

• 9 years ago

Most underrated: David Fincher of Fight Club, Se7en and recently The Social Network

Best ever: Probably Spielberg. He still is a master at direction.

Most overrated: Stanley Kubrick. He made great movies but he was a terrible director.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

James Cameron

The world should recognize him as greatest Sci-Fi director of all time

BA: Steven Speilberg

BA2: The Coen Brothers

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.