Does refrigerated yogurt go bad?

I mean its basically already spoiled milk. If you keep yogurt refrigerated and it doesnt have fruit in it how long will it be 'good' for? I seriously think it would still be good for year.

Favorite Answer

It can go bad, but not for a while. The pH of yogurt is quite low so not much in the way of bacteria will grow and certainly no pathogens. But there are yeast and especially molds that will grow at low pH even in the refrigerator. You can help prevent contamination with yeast and mold by not removing the lid but mold spoors may still be there and will eventually grow out. A year might be too long, but certainly months.

PhD Food Chemistry and Nutrition

Does Yogurt Go Bad

Individually packaged yogurt will last a really long time if kept refrigerated. I accidentally ate several yogurts that were over 2 years old and they looked and tasted no different from the new. I was surprised when I looked at the date on one and realized now long they had been in there but no ill effects and they tasted fine. Not the fruit in the bottom kind but they had various stuffs mixed in.

How Long Does Yogurt Last

I just ate Yogurt that was dated October 9th 2014, and its Jan 3rd 2015 now, and it wasnt moldy, it was lowfat greek yogurt by Dannon and it had fruit in the bottom but it didnt even taste sour and the fruit looked fine. My find in the past with bad yogurt has been like with sour cream where it kind of has a watery top layer and it makes it stink beyond belief. This yogurt was fine and I needed the pro biotics so i ate it...

• KDL

Trying to decide whether or not to eat some old yogurt in your fridge?

I wouldn't have it in there for a year, but I have definitely stored it for a couple of months with no problems. I basically use the sniff test before I eat anything though. I look at the consistency, stir, and sniff.

• C w

Hi: It does keep a long time, the commercial brands I've kept for a month out of the expiration date and they were still OK...but I wouldn't keep them much longer than that. The organic yogurts you should use by the expiration date because they don't have all the preservatives that Dannon or Columbo etc would have.

Source(s): Me

You would think so, but I've left yogurt in my fridge too long and it has turned unedibly moldy. Yes, it is usually still good at least a few days, maybe a couple weeks, beyond the expiration date, but it eventually spoils more than it already is.

I just ate some individually packed flavored yogurt that is 5 mo. past date. mixed fine, tasted fine, smelled fine.

I just ate some dannon light and fit that was two months past the date. Will report later. I wasn't feeling well when I ate it so outcome may be questionable.