Admission to Berklee College of Music for Music Production/Engineering?

I am about to apply to the Berklee College of Music wanting to be a Music Production/Engineering major, and possibly Songwriting.

I see the audition guidelines are all over instruments, so I would most likely audition on the drums which are what I'm pretty much best at.

Obviously, I'm not going to be playing drums for a living, so how important would the audition be on technical skills and whatnot for the drums if I'm not even gunna use that even during school?

Or is there a separate kind of audition for Music Production/Engineering majors that I don't know about?

Any current Berklee students out there that are MP&E majors? Could you tell me how your audition went down and around how good you should be (roughly) to be accepted as an MP&E major into Berklee?

• Favorite Answer

Hello, I was MP&E/MBUS and did percussion as my principal so I'll try to help out.

So for the audition drums would be your main focus. At this point they will not know your major and will need to see good technical skills related to drums. On your application you should be able to hint the fact that you are wanting to do MP&E but they need to see plenty of musical background as well.

During school you will still take all the normal core music courses as well as private lessons and labs based on drums - no matter what your major is. You cannot even choose your major until after you second semester.

MP&E is the most popular program and hardest to get into because many people want to get in and only about 1/3 of applicants make it in. To get apply, you will see signs around the school, you have to fill out some information, write some essays, and have an interview. It really helps to keep a high GPA (3.8). You will also have to pass a math exam and take acoustics as your science credit.

If you are accepted, you will start doing MP&E classes from your third semester onward.

On the other hand, songwriting does not have any special requirements and can be chosen freely. You can delcare that while you try to get in MP&E and continue on a dual major if you want. Hope it helps out, good luck!

Source(s): Berklee Grad

The only way to find out is to call or email the Berklee admissions office.