How does gravity exactly counteract the expanding universe at most scales?

We get told that the expanding universe is like the surface of a balloon and we live on one of the little dots on the surface. As the balloon expands, every other dot looks further away. However the dot gets bigger too, and so do I at the same rate. Why does it seem that gravity completely explains the... show more We get told that the expanding universe is like the surface of a balloon and we live on one of the little dots on the surface. As the balloon expands, every other dot looks further away. However the dot gets bigger too, and so do I at the same rate.

Why does it seem that gravity completely explains the attraction of objects at laboratory scale up to galactic scale, but then doesn't when you look beyond that? Why isn't the space between my toes getting bigger at exactly the same rate?