External Hard Drive between Mac and PC?

I'm sure this has been asked in other places, but I haven't really been able to find an answer.

My friend has a Mac, I have a PC, and we're trying to use her Toshiba external hard drive to transfer movies back and forth. When we plugged it in, my computer recognized that it was connected, and when I opened up the "Stop Device" window, it was listed there, but it wasn't accessible in My Computer. The best that we could come up with was that maybe Apple puts a protection on the stored files. I'm sure that it's something like that, but if anyone knows any way that I would be able to access it, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Favorite Answer

Apple puts protection on stored files? Good guess, but no.

Apple's filesystem is HFS +, and Window's filesystem is NTFS.

If you want to transfer items from her mac to your pc, you need to get a special type of hard drive that automatically converts between the two filesystem ( I believe Crucial sells those).

Snow Leopard can read NTFS files on a external hard drive, but cannot write to it. Windows cannot read or write on the HFS + format.

Of course, there are tons of third party software that allows you to do file transfers such as this through lan. Just google them.