Probability: A bridge hand in which there is no card higher than a 9 is called a Yarborough after the Earl who?

A bridge hand in which there is no card higher than a 9 is called a Yarborough after the Earl who liked to bet at 1,000 to 1 that your bridge hand would have a card that was 10 or higher. What is the probability of a Yarborough when you draw 13 cards out of a deck of 52.

Favorite Answer

prob is best described as #of outcomes that satisfy condition/# of possible outcomes

assuming that A is high (I dont play bridge) then there are 32 cards lower than a 10 which means that there are 32!/(13!*(32-13)!) ways of making this Yarborough. this is read 32 choose 13

the total possible number of outcomes is 52!/(52!*(52-13!)) (or 52 choose 13)

p(Yarborough)=[32!/(13!*(32-13)!)]/[52!/(52!*(52-13!))]

You prob. know that x!=x*(x-1)*(x-2)*....(x-x+1) or you wouldnt be asking a prob. question like this but I thought Id point it out

• boven

Yarborough Bridge

13C9

Source(s): my brain