Is this illegal or just unethical?

I am a student and one of my friends at school has h.i.v. and another girl who goes there (claming to be bored) one day, looks up everybodys public records and finds out my friends status printed it out and showed everybody at school behind his back. I was livid that another person would do that to someone in there work enviroment. we havent told any teachers yet because i want to have my facts straight but even though its public records is it illegal or just unethical?

Best Answer

I think it is neither, I have a right to know if I am sitting next to someone HIV positive. If they get a cold I don't really want them coughing all over me. Do you ???

Would you want to know if the person next to you coughing and sneezing all over has a disease that will KILL you???

Source(s): The Raven.

Here's how it works. Unless it caused the girl to do something like commit suicide, then it could not be charged as a serious felony. BUT, the boy CAN attempt to press criminal charges (most of which thinking about are pretty serious) with stalking, criminal harrassment, and disturbing a school assembly. The boy could sue for emotional distress and the school could be prosecuted for not intervening under loco prentis. I'm sure someone could come up with more obscure charges, but from what i can see those are the main charges you could attempt to file, but the kid would have to find out about the paper BEFOREHAND and be in depression and emotionally or physically hurt by it for it to be a good case. Hope this is put to a stop and good luck to you and your friend. It's nice that your compassionate enough to try and help. But remember to tell an adult and try not to take matters into your own hands. Many teachers might just have a talk with the girl and leave it at that. That is when you should try to get justice for the boy and put the bullying to a stop.

• Erika

no longer unlawful or unethical, it relatively is THEIR hotel and the decor would properly be what ever they choose. you do no longer could pass there. If a central authority entity (city, state, federal) paid you would be able to desire to have something. it would be like complaining on account which you probably did no longer like the colour of the carpet able. you're saying you have no longer something against them yet you carry on with that with saying, 'yet its no longer the way i've got self assurance could soo is it against the regulation or something to have them?' It sounds plenty such as you think of it relatively is unlawful for somebody to have ideals different than your very own.

• jv

Here is what california law states.

All HIV/AIDS case reports and any information collected or maintained in the course of surveillance-related activities that may directly or indirectly identify an individual are considered confidential public health record(s) under California Health and Safety Code (HSC) Section 121035(c) and must be handled with the utmost confidentiality. Furthermore, HSC §121025(a) prohibits the disclosure of HIV/AIDS-related public health records that contain any personally identifying information to any third party, unless authorized by law for public health purposes, or by the written consent of the individual identified in the record or his/her guardian/conservator.

She can be fined up to $25,000 for publicizing this info.

Edit--yeah, this sure deserves a thumbs down. LOL

If she got the information from public records than I don't think it's illegal. How would his health status be on public records though? They are usually confidential so I don't understand how that would have been made public unless the woman made it public somehow. But yes, it's definitely unethical.

Public records are legal to display, but I've never known of HIV to be included in public records. Health info is usually kept legally private w/HIPAA rules.

And of course, there could be harassment rules broken, but that's more likely a school rule issue.

It is definitely unethical and I am pretty sure it is illegal since it is an invasion of privacy, but you should google the laws to make sure. You should also tell a teacher, and they will probably know what to do about it.

• Hi

Depends what country.

If you're in the US, the girl cannot be charged, as there are not as much laws that protect the individuals' privacy.

In Canada, however, information can only be presented to the public if the jury deems the information important for the public to know. (The correct term would be, 'Newsworthy Information')

Edit: Not too sure what you mean by 'public records' either. If it were to be 'public' it's open anyone to see, therefore perfectly legal.

Illegal invasion of privacy. Report to authorities right away. Health status is not a public record so she didn't just happen to find it.

Source(s): A bunch of people here have never heard of HIPPA laws!!! Why thumbs down for stating the facts? Strange people or maybe a bunch of homophobes answering?

If the records are public, then this would not be illegal.

If the records can be accessed by anyone, printing it out and passing it around is not illegal.

It is however evil and absolutely reprehensible.

• emwhy

I'm not 100% sure, but I would say it's illegal going through someone else's private records.