? asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

What should we do with the stray cat in our neighborhood?

My mother and I have been caring for an elderly male stray cat, which we have nicknamed Jasper, for the last five months. I got him altered and up-to-date on shots around two months ago. My mom purchased a doghouse for him (to keep him warm during fall).

My mom and I are planning to relocate in the next month or two. We are unsure of what to do with Jasper.

We would love to take him with us, but we are not sure if we would be going overboard. We already have a total of nine (indoor) cats. The place we are looking at renting has 2,100 square feet. 10 cats + two people might be pushing it.

All of our cats are altered, vaccinated, and current on checkups. Our cats are currently fed Taste of the Wild. In the next year, we will be switching them to a raw diet. We keep an extremely tidy house.

I have contacted various no-kill shelters throughout Missouri. None of them will accept him, either because they are full or because he does not meet their criteria. Apparently, most of the no-kill shelters here only accept animals that will be easily adopted out. Since Jasper is black (and not as attractive as a tabby, tortie, or calico) and elderly, he has been labeled “unadoptable”.

Dumping him off at a humane society is not an option. Missouri’s shelters have extremely high kill-rates. In the summer, many shelters receive upwards of 40 cats a day, most of which are euthanized.

Based on this information, should we bring Jasper with us?

I just wanted to add that if we do not make Jasper a permanent family member, we will be finding him another home.

I am not sure how this will work, though. Halloween is just around the corner and Jasper is a black cat. I do not want someone to use him as a Halloween decoration. :/

Guys, we would not leave the cat behind. READ.

Favorite Answer

He's old, he's going to have trouble making it on his own with potentially non-cat friendly people in the old home. Take him with you. He already knows you, has smelled all your other cats, he can adapt indoors. Or at least with another person who can care for him.

I have the same problem with a stray cat. What I did was keep her for a while and tried to sell her at a good family. So you should try keeping him and find a friend or somebody you know and ask them if they can keep him. That way you can keep seeing him.

Good Luck

• fcm703

Take the poor cat with you. Or prepare to feel guilty for a long time...

It may be difficult but you should take him with you. Maybe in your new location you will

find someone who will take care of him.

take the little thing never leave a cat behind you hear me NEVER!!!!!!