He keeps her old love letters?

My boyfriend moved recently and today we were hanging out and going through old boxes and came across old love letters from his ex fiance and some old posessions of hers. He placed these things in a box for safe keeping, and continued. I understand the importance of keeping old photos and things that remind you... show more My boyfriend moved recently and today we were hanging out and going through old boxes and came across old love letters from his ex fiance and some old posessions of hers. He placed these things in a box for safe keeping, and continued.

I understand the importance of keeping old photos and things that remind you of your past. However, this ex of his was a terrible person who broke his heart. I asked him if he still has feelings for her to which he responded that, "no he did not but she was a major part of his life." After they broke up, he was very depressed for a long time and had a terrible time dealing with being without her.

I feel as if I should know better than to be bothered this. Photos do not bother me, it's just the letters. It's as if holding on to them is his way of holding on to their relationship.

Any advice?
Update: I just wanted to add, that I did not ask him to throw them away, as it is not my place. It just bothers me that he feels as if keeping them is important. I believe that each person should deal with their past and their issues in thier own way and in their own time. However, I do feel as though these things... show more I just wanted to add, that I did not ask him to throw them away, as it is not my place.

It just bothers me that he feels as if keeping them is important. I believe that each person should deal with their past and their issues in thier own way and in their own time. However, I do feel as though these things should be dealt with before beginning a new relationship.
Update 2: It has been a few years since they broke off their relationship...