What Is the brightness/Dynamic Range of Film?

Can you help me with this pleaseeee

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

DR - Dynamic Range, also known as D-Max on some digital imaging equipment, is the ability to see into the dark, shadow areas as well as the bright, like sky and clouds, area, and still have seen detail in each.

The more number of "steps" the item, camera, scanner or film has, the larger the range. The larger the range the better.

Sometimes a # is used in expressing the DR. Often is is said - D-Max 3.8 or 4.2, etc.. Again, the higher the better. If it says 3.0 or 2.9, it is not very good, often cheap or older equipment and will give poor images that are contrasty because there are not enuf steps between pure black and pure white.

Film is rated in a scale called EV - Exposure Value. Different film, different EV #'s.. A scale of 5 to 8 is said to be common but films actually go higher and some lower. Some as high as 10 or 12 stops between all black and all white. What this EV means is how many stops over and under, from a center metered position can the film still see. From a child in the sun to a child over in the shade, both in the same picture and both seen with ease. These numbers equal f/stops left and right of the picked exposure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range

Source(s): Photography and photographer all my life and seller of equipment.
  • 10 years ago

Your question is actually very difficult to answer. It all depends on the film. The definition I supposed would be the number of stops a film can render when shot and processed normally.

Dynamic range in film is called contrast range. Depending on how the film is exposed and developed one can get more or less range.

B&W negative: in general can render 4 to 5 stops, and can be expanded to 7to 8 by someone who knows what they are doing. Expansion of the range is accomplished by pushing the film: one underexposes the film in shooting and overdevelops when processing. Think of films like tri-x, HP5, the delta films from Ilford. One can also contract the range by doing the opposite: overexpose when shooting and underdevelop when processing. Ironically, this can yeild a print which appears to have a greater range. Note I said appears, if you put the film on a densitometer, you will find it has less range than the print would suggest.

Color Negative: has the greatest contrast range -5 to 7 stops easily for films like Fuji Reala, Kodak Gold series without special processing. You will be dodging and burning in the darkroom. If you can't shoot color negative and get decent results, sell your camera.

Color transparency: the least range, the least latitude: 3-5 depending on the film, the manner in which it is shot and processed. Transparency is the least forgiving of the films: listen to your meter and bracket like crazy.

Latitude is the number of stops of over or under exposure a film can handle and still render an acceptable image.

• 10 years ago

With slide film, if you're over or under by one stop, the detail is lost.

With color print film, there is a very wide range, around 3 stops over or under. You need a good lab to print it and get the details, but it's a lot more range than slide film.

With B&W it is around the same 2-3 stops over or under. This depends on the film, but 2-3 stops is a good average.

• 10 years ago

dynamic range of a film is how many different shades, it records between pure white and pure black.

less sensitive films record more than high sensitivity films.

Source(s): pro photographer
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Jen
    Lv 5
    10 years ago

I'm not much cop at explaining but this might do it for you...http://shutterclick.smugmug.com/gallery/6616619_YJ...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.