I could get only some -
1. The Suez Canal was begun in 1,858 and was formally opened in November, 1869.
2. Its cost, including harbors, is estimated at $100,000,000.
3. Its length is 100 miles, 75 of which were excavated.
4. Its width is generally 325 feet at the surface, and 75 feet at the bottom, and its depth 26 feet.
5. The workmen employed were chiefly natives, and many were drafted by the Khedive.
6. The number of laborers is estimated at 30,000.
7. The British government virtually controls the canal as it owns most of the stock.
· 8 years ago