What is the best way to reduce quantity of data points for excel scatter plot?

I am working with data that I gathered during an X-ray diffraction lab. The xrd outputs data with 2 theta angle and intensity. There are 5000+ data points for each of the 15 different graphs I need to generate. What is a good way to statistically reduce the number of data points in excel? Even a macro for vba would... show more I am working with data that I gathered during an X-ray diffraction lab. The xrd outputs data with 2 theta angle and intensity. There are 5000+ data points for each of the 15 different graphs I need to generate. What is a good way to statistically reduce the number of data points in excel? Even a macro for vba would probably work by using a counter but I think others may know better ways. What do you suggest that I do to reduce the data?

An idea of what the graphs look like can be seen by searching in google with the phrase "xrd pattern" with images selected. Also, sites like http://www.hkbu.edu.hk/~csar/phase_identification.html have images.