Opposites attract.....really?

There is a popular notion amongst people that "opposites attract" in terms of relationships and love. I happen to completely disagree with this notion and I'll explain why. Do you think I'm taking this too literally? The less two people have in common, the less they will be able to relate to... show more There is a popular notion amongst people that "opposites attract" in terms of relationships and love. I happen to completely disagree with this notion and I'll explain why. Do you think I'm taking this too literally?

The less two people have in common, the less they will be able to relate to one another. That's not to say they have to be exact copies of each other since its important to teach one another things and bring new things into the other persons life. But for example, I'm a loner and always have been, so my opposite would be an ultra social party girl, right? so she would have lived a life that I am unable to relate to and also completely disagree with. Is that supposed to be attractive? that sounds like a sad situation to me.
How can you be close with someone who has led a life you can't relate to? Is it because theoretically even though you are opposites, you share the same belief systems and morals? because by the sound of it, you would be opposites in that criteria as well, which would ultimately make me hate this girl because she would be everything that pisses me off and everything I disagree with. Am I taking this too literally?

Lets say we lived opposite lives, but shared the same beliefs and morals. First of all I find it hard to believe that someone could live an opposite life style as me and still have the same beliefs and morals as I do, know what I mean? Since our beliefs and morals are largely based on our lifestyle and experience of the world, which in this case would have been completely opposite.

What do you think?