How to make a universal infrared switch?

i am looking for a way to make a universal infrared single channel on & off switch.. would like to use the infrared switch for the car's neon glow lights.. the concept is to use a remote control device using a wide band IR receiver to program any universal remote control for this function.. i am hoping somebody... show more i am looking for a way to make a universal infrared single channel on & off switch.. would like to use the infrared switch for the car's neon glow lights.. the concept is to use a remote control device using a wide band IR receiver to program any universal remote control for this function.. i am hoping somebody may have the knowledge of helping me with this as far as what materials is needed to complete this project idea like what chips, resistors, capacitors, relays, wires, sockets, circuit boards to use while withstanding the car's 12VDC power supply on not burning out the circuit.. a friend suggested i could salvage an IR receiver and IR sender from old devices to use for this project like car & home stereos with remote control, old TV remotes & IR sensors, etc.. it will be highly appreciated if somebody could help me out with this project but if anyone knows where i could find something like this already build it would be highly appreciated as well if you can let me know where to get it from.. Thank You
2 answers 2