registering a jon boat?

I live in Georgia. I purchased a john boat from a recycling center. They had it just laying around so i asked them how much they wanted for it. I would like to get it registered so i can put a trolling motor on it so i don't have to paddle. But, I have no idea who the previous owner was and absolutely no bill of sale. the only thing i have to work with is some numbers stuck on it. how can i get it registered. Anything will help thanks

Favorite Answer

First find out how long the boat is. Then call the local DNR officer. In Wisconsin if you have a boat under 16 feet, there is no title, so there isn't much that needs to be done to register the boat. Heck it cost me all of $4.75!! But you never know until you talk to the DNR.

As long as you know the boat is not stolen, you can go to the DNR or DMV (don't know which handles boats in your state) and explain the situation. They will issue a new ID number. Usually it will be a sticker. The main thing is that it will be logged into their records. This will allow you to sell the boat sometime in the future without the prospective buyer thinking he is buying a stolen boat. I worked in a body shop in WI some time ago, and we repaired salvaged vehicles all the time. We were told that it is illegal to transfer an ID tag from one vehicle to another. Talk to the state authorities, they will help.