Why do many Americans oppose a government run health care service?

As a British citizen I'm perplexed to the US's opposition to socialised health care, particularly since: 1) The US has the lowest life expectancy of any G7 country, including the UK. Its life expectancy is lower than that of Cuba. 2) An American spends on average almost two and a half times more for... show more As a British citizen I'm perplexed to the US's opposition to socialised health care, particularly since:

1) The US has the lowest life expectancy of any G7 country, including the UK. Its life expectancy is lower than that of Cuba.

2) An American spends on average almost two and a half times more for health care than a British citizen ($7290 a year per capita compared to $2992 in the UK). It has the highest expenditure on health care as a percentage of its GDP (16%) in the world.

3) Health care was ranked the lowest in industrial countries by a study conducted by the Commonwealth Fund. According to the WHO, Isa's health care comes 37th out of 191 countries. The UK comes 18th.

4) 62% of all personal bankruptcies are believed to result from medical debt.

5) 15.3% of the population is completely uninsured, with 35% of the population being underinsured. The Institute of Medicine believe that 18,000 people die unnecessarily every year because they are uninsured or underinsured. Harvard put the figure at 44,800 excessive deaths a year due to a lack of insurance and another study put the figure at 100,000.

So, despite the high expenditure associated with privately provided health care, the actual service provided is poorer than in all other developped countries, who all have socialised health care. If the US had socialised health care, the costs per person would drop, the quality of treatment would increase, the amount of people accessing health care would also increase and the life expectancy would probably increase.

Therefore, why are many US citizens opposed to socialised health care?
Update: @ Shmuck: Maybe you don't trust the government, but I'd rather trust an elected body of politicians than an unelected insurance company only interested in making money. @JW: my last paragraph highlights the fact that in all countries in the western world with socialised healthcare, individuals pay less... show more @ Shmuck: Maybe you don't trust the government, but I'd rather trust an elected body of politicians than an unelected insurance company only interested in making money.

@JW: my last paragraph highlights the fact that in all countries in the western world with socialised healthcare, individuals pay less than in the US and receive better health care. If the American health care system became socialised, the profit-making arm of it would be eliminated, and therefore it would not be included in the cost.