Here is my education reform plan, please tell me of what you think?

I suggested that the US should

expand educational opportunities for college by making college tuition tax deductible,expanding Pell Grants, and cut student loan interest rates.

Make all financial aid available to trade and vocational schools, as they often train students in high demand and well paying jobs such as mechanics, metalworking, plumbing, and etc.

support public school choice, including charter schools and magnet schools that meet the same high standards as other schools. And at a time when so many schools charged with our future are relics of the past, we will attempted provide educational alternatives and enrich our schools with the equipment for a 21st century education.

support private school vouchers to give parents more choice in there child's education and to also place pressure on failing schools to shape up

Increased access of national scholarships for science, medical, and high demand fields such as accounting, metalworking, and etc.

A "Be-On-Time Loan" program is to provide eligible students no-interest loans to attend colleges and universities in the country. If the student meets specified goals, the entire loan amount can be forgiven upon graduation. It provides to about up to $10000 USD each year. It will be restricted to degrees with high job growth and security.

Creation of a Common Course Numbering System which is a required co-operative effort among all in the country community colleges and universities to facilitate transfer of freshman-, sophomore-, and junior-level general academic coursework. This grants greater freedom of choice for the students, ease the transfer of credits among all institutions

Require all states to develop an independent "Open University" or a distance learning and research university that an open entry policy, i.e. students' previous academic achievements are not taken into account for entry to most undergraduate courses that provides completely transferable credit under the CCNS to all universities, grant accredited Bachelor’s, Master's, and Doctor's degrees to most fields (not including fields that require special training such as medical degree)

Require all states to create an educational alternative to students (K-12) who want to earn a high school diploma and need, or prefer, the flexibility of distance education to complete their course work. This is to help out homeschoolers and provide parents an alternative to private schools and public schools

(BTW we will pay for education one way or another, I am just trying to reform it for bigger bang for buck)

Actually I based it on the sucess of the OU in UK, the Florida Virtual Academy, to break down transfer issues in universities to provide more choice, and many other real world successes in different countries and states

Also I try to break the myth that the uni defines how good a student is, rather than the student's work

Favorite Answer

what do I think? I think you've thought about it a lot.

If I were to respond to more than one thing you stated I'd be writing a 400 page book. Why not break those down into 20 or more questions?

I read thru most of your comments and find one thread that runs thru it which I could address right now. There are enough loans out there to fill the spaces available for the schools we have currently in the USA. What would be better is if students who aren't ready for college or vocational school if they took a low paying job (MacDonalds or as a bagger in a grocery store or work for Walmart) and saved up and then when they had the money they went to a junior college or vocational school near home. That way they wouldn't be strapped with paying back school loans. Bear in mind that the interest we all pay back from our student loans goes to pay for the next group of kids needing student loans. So if there was no interest there would be no more school loans. Seems you continue to state you want everything free. Where is "free" going to come from? And, grants are out there but are mostly for one class at a time and those who pay for more do plan to hire that person once they graduate (so it's a company investment which probably is tax deductible for that company). See, incentives have to be on "both" sides.

It used to be that after high school guys (and some girls) would go into the military and provide their service for a few years and then be rewarded with money for college. Are you saying we should re-introduce the draft? Since that appears to be one of the answers you seek. There are already incentives for students like who go into teaching, become doctors and nurses, I think for people who go into the peace corps as well who get a part of their student loans lopped off if they work in certain poor areas for a few years. So the government is already doing their part in this regard.

It used to be back in the early 1980's that only seasoned businessmen would go for their Masters Degrees. The first ones who got their Masters Degree at the bank where I worked couldn't get work or even the pay they wanted, mainly because they had no experience and because they were the "first" to receive the Masters Degree. So why has a Masters Degree become such a valued piece of paper. I understand today the title "Vice President" means nothing (years ago it was a valued title) since so many unseasoned people right out of school have it and employers have made room for them. That's probably why the lower jobs are now given to those with degrees and they do "teamwork" and are provided with words and titles that are meaningless.

You said the words "Doctor's degrees". I think you meant Doctorates which are for the teaching field only and again are for only the seasoned professionals who have worked many years and saved up their money for that kind of schooling. So by your not knowing the word Doctorate I'm starting to think you're talking out of your hat.

So you would want states to give an alternative education to kids in kindergarten? Kindergarten is preschool like coloring within the lines and making stick figures with clay and those courses are only as babysitter classes, of which "none" of the students are thinking about high school.

Distance education (prior to the computer) never held any weight with an employer and I hear noise out there that they still don't carry weight with an employer (meaning they are less important than the in-classroom teaching because the student is "on their own" to learn and lots of kids can't do that, they cheat, so what good is the degree from correspondence school?

Oh my, I think you have to rethink a lot of what you stated, or talk with more people concerning education.

I agree with points made by the previous commenter. Also, keep in mind that the more the state chooses to support private schools (including magnet and charter schools, which are basically private schools in function), the less funding will automatically go to public schools. (Public schools receive a set amount of money per student. As they lose students, they lose funding.) As a result, public schools will continually be forced to spend less and less money on hiring and retaining decent teachers and providing various services to students.

Also, many schools can't just "shape up" as easily as you think they should when they are fighting poverty, violence, and neglect from the homes.