Are we at fault for forcing other nations to develop nuclear weapons to defend themselves?

Korea specialists generally accept Pyongyang's stated rationale that it sought its own bomb for defensive reasons — "as a response to the U.S. deployment of tactical nuclear weapons in South Korea," says author Selig Harrison.

Yoshiki Mine of Japan's Canon Institute for Global Studies, who as a diplomat dealt with both disarmament and North Korea, said the northern regime feels its existence as a nation is threatened.

The U.S. nuclear option "does give the North Koreans an excuse to develop, acquire and own nuclear weapons," Mine told the AP. "They have indicated many times that as long as this basic security is not secured, they would not abandon nuclear weapons."

• bond
    Best Answer

I'm sure 0bama would love to apologize for us.

This is a little like a battered woman posting a question to all battered women: "Are we at fault for forcing our significant others to hit us?" Then following that up with a quote from her lover: I generally accept his explanation that if I didn't do wrong he wouldn't have to hit me.

I mean ... SERIOUSLY??? It's incredible to me the number of people that want to blame America for ... everything. I don't view America's government through rose-colored glasses. I know it has done bad things! But by even asking such a question, you forget basic history:

1) Virtually ALL of the physcists on the Manhatten Project were ... Jewish Germans who managed to escape the Nazi Jewish killing machine.

2) Einstein and other formerly German physcists WARNED THE US GOVERNMENT that GERMANY was developing nuclear weapons.

So ... what was the US's RESPONSE to this new potential threat from a German war machine? We commenced immediately to develop those same weapons. We had many of their key scientists. We were lightyears ahead of any other country that might want to do the same thing!!!

So ... to get a complete picture of ALL the issues in play:

1) The US was a safe housing for persecuted Jews trying to flee the gas chambers of Germany. That's a good thing, RIGHT?!?!?!?!?

2) The US did not come up with the idea of inventing nuclear weapons. (Maybe we were stupid for that, but history bears this out.)

3) The US RESPONDED to a threat from a military powerhouse nation that was literally trying to rule the world. (No reasonable person would say that a nuclear Germany would not have been a significant threat to the US and its allies!)

4) The US warned Japan BEFORE dropping the first bomb on Hiroshima.

5) The US warned Japan again BEFORE dropping the secodn bomb on Nagasaki.

6) The US has showed great restraint in NEVER using nuclear technology again in 65 years!!!

If we are trying to be truly fair about it ... AS SOON as the idea came to someone's mind and the technology came available then the cat was out of the bag! Evil doers would want the technology for the power. It's like the street thugs that want RPG's and AK's, etc. And of course even peace-loving countries that want to deter others would want this technology too.

North Korea is probably much more bad than good. They are willing to lie about their reasons. Does that mean they are lying? Of course not! I don't know! Nor do I really care! They want nuclear weapons, which is bad for the rest of the world. IF you want to blame the US for this then I think it says much more about you than it does about the US. You have a bias that ... well, I just don't even care to explain your biases to you. You're Michael Moore Junior. Go your way, my friend. Go your way.

If the U. S. hadn't arise with the bomb first, yet another usa could have. The Soviets and Germans have been arising nuclear weapons on the comparable time because of the fact the U. S.. After the war it replaced into necessary to maintain them because of the Soviets having their very own weapons. Now different international places have them to safeguard themselves from different nuclear states and no person will provide them up, because of the fact to realize this could pass away them vulnerable now that the counsel to construct them is obtainable. It replaced into basically a remember of time until eventually now nukes could be invented, permit's basically be happy the Nazis did no longer build them first.

Ok, we have now entered the realm of the retarded. The nuclear weapons were deployed because of the hundreds of thousands of troops threatening a sovereign nation to the south. Perhaps if the North would stop slaughtering their own people those in the south might be able to sleep without one hand on a weapon.

Lest we forget that the leader of this poor defenseless nation demands that his people acknoledge that he is a better golfer than Tiger Woods. Yea, I would subscribe to his thought process as well.........

• Jay

Saying they want it to defend themselves isn't accurate cause they make threats, NK wants to blow SK and Iran wants to blow israel, at least they say so.

Saying US is forcing this situation is also not accurate, those nations do not develop nukes cause they fear an American invasion, leftists might think we go on wars for profit but we only the only attack dangerous countries which are better off attacked and if it wasn't US then US would not be #1 would super-power cause Russia or China would happily take over this positions which is those countries ultimate goal.

• We should use them on a couple of Countries(Iran, Venezuela, Pakistan or North Korea) then the idiots of the World will shut their faces.

"forcing other nations to develop nuclear weapons to defend themselves"

Defend themselves from what? Who, exactly, lives in oppression because of US involvement?

If you're afraid of the US, it's because you're a tyrant, and your people are enslaved. If you're "forced to develop nuclear weapons," it's only so that you can defend the tyranny.

Have you ever heard the origin of the term "useful idiot," first coined by V.I. Lenin?

North Korea is not led by rational individuals but by raving psychopaths. So your question is invalid.

After the USA............the big brother of the North & South continents of America.............. decided to help England during the Falkland war ........... many South America nations suddenly seek nuclear weapons

oh, and after the US government attack Panama..... simply for the canals

Ask B.H. Obama every-things the fault of the USA

Nope.