Is this child endangerment?

Okay, I'm 17 years old. There have been numerous occasions where my parents have knowingly locked me out of the house for hours. (eight, nine o'clock at night). The next time they do this, I plan on calling the police. Is purposely locking me out of the house child endangerment? Serious answers only please.

Favorite Answer

Are you always in the house by 8 or 9 o'clock? I doubt you are. If they're kicking you out during the evening, they must know you have friends or neighbors you can turn to if it's cold outside. I doubt the police would consider this child endangerment if they let you come back in the house later.

You must be doing something to provoke your parents. I suggest you learn to abide by their rules or they can turn you out of the house with nothing on your 18th birthday.

Depending on the state you live in. Nearly every state I have ever heard of requires that a parent or a legal guardian provide you a place to stay until you reach eighteen. They can't just arbitrarily kick you out of the house if you are under 18. If you get locked out of the house at night, then by all means call the cops.

To be fair to your parents since I only have YOUR side of the story, what are you doing to supposedly warrant getting locked out of the house out of punishment?

• Kate

it is not a good thing to do but why are they doing it? Have you given them a reason to do this? I am not accusing you of anything but maybe you need to ask what you have done to cause it. Have you been rude to them? Do you give them a hard time? If none of these then you may need to speak to someone about it and let them know that you are being put in danger. try speaking to a counselor about it and see what they think.