Jim
Lv 5
Jim asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

Can you freeze celery?

I want to buy a lot of fresh produce and freeze it for future use in a microwaved meal.. I know that I can freeze and microwave bell peppers, for example, but can I freeze and later microwave celery, or will it be a mess?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It will freeze, cut it into small pieces first.

• 1 decade ago

Check with your local food preservation people (like the extension service). There is an awful lot of water in celery and it's hard to see how that wouldn't destroy the cell structure when it freezes. You might have better luck if you prepared a complete dish that included the celery and freeze that after it cooks.

Source(s): Home cook.
  • KD --
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

The only time I freeze my celery is when I don't want to throw away the "left over" stuff. I put it into soups though, and it is just fine. But, if you're thinking of having a nice big chunk of celery in the pot pie, or whatever, don't be surprised if it isn't "chunky" enough for you. It will have celery flavor, but not celery texture.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Celery is one of those veggies that does not freeze well. It turns mushy. Much better to purchase within a week of when you wish to use it. I keep it in the refrigerator after prepping it for the uses I intend it. I pop it into zip lock bags and press out the air and put it in the bottom refrigerator drawers til ready to use.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

sure you can.

It is available frozen for food service use.

It cannot be used in salads though.

It is great for hot dishes.

And it does not turn into much. Celery has a lot of fiber in it as well.

• 1 decade ago

If you cook it first it'll be okay but celery is 98% water and it'll basically turn into mush if you don't.

• 1 decade ago

frozen celery will work as long as you cook it

• 1 decade ago

you can't really freeze it but i will get cold and it will last you longer!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.