Why is abalone so expensive?

I tasted one today in a famous restaurant, and it was very awful =-=

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

They are only found in certain places and aren't common.

Abalone if not cooked rightly is like eating rubber bands, but nicely cooked abalone is a culinary delight.

• 9 years ago

Abalone, like most fish, is priced based on supply and demand and also has several different quality levels based on region in which it was caught, method of catching and procedures after the catch. Many restaurants will start off using a high end product and charge an appropriate price for it...but then will fall victim to 'price fixation' and will purchase a cheaper product thinking customers won't notice a difference. In other circumstances quality change happens when a restaurant switches vendors. The new vendor comes in with a 'lower price' item and the operator assumes their current supplier has been ripping them off. They don't notice that they're getting a lower quality product.

Or, the chef that prepared your meal didn't know what he/she was doing.

Source(s): I used to work in the food distribution/supply business.
  • Brian
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

I hate abalone too, it's tough, rubbery and has a dull flavor.

The reason it's so expensive is because they have to be hand caught and the cost to yield ratio is very low. So whenever you do find one a lot of time, work and money went into harvesting it.

Source(s): BTW, to the user above, abalone is not a fish.
  • Mike
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

try the E P A - U S D A - F & G - laws - only certain size - catch limits - consider the S C U B A gear $ $ - Cost of boats -

as for the food - "and it was very awful" - your personal opinion -

I have had meatloaf - that after tasting pushed it aside and finished the sides and let the staff know I was not pleased

If it was awful did you inform the staff ? ?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

most chinese delicacies like abalone, shark's fin, bird's nest are super expensive because they're in high demand. not necessarily because they have magical healing properties or high nutrient content, but because they were hard to get.

it all started back in ancient china when the emperor would eat all these expensive foods just because he could and no one else in the kingdom had the money or resources to risk their lives for luxury food. since then, it was all "but this was food that only the emperors could eat, it has to be good!" thus maintaining the high prices of such food.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Just my uneducated guess...Most things that are hard to catch are expensive.

• 9 years ago

because it comes from the ocean, the polluted oceans, the price of oil, gas etc. and the fact that fresh fish in general are very pricey.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.