Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

Don't you think Martin Luther missed these passages when he thought up of his doctrines?

+++

James 2

Faith and Works

14My friends, what good is it to say you have faith, when you don't do anything to show that you really do have faith? Can that kind of faith save you? 15If you know someone who doesn't have any clothes or food, 16you shouldn't just say, "I hope all goes well for you. I hope you will be warm and have plenty to eat." What good is it to say this, unless you do something to help? 17Faith that doesn't lead us to do good deeds is all alone and dead!

18Suppose someone disagrees and says, "It is possible to have faith without doing kind deeds."

I would answer, "Prove that you have faith without doing kind deeds, and I will prove that I have faith by doing them." 19You surely believe there is only one God. That's fine. Even demons believe this, and it makes them shake with fear.

20Does some stupid person want proof that faith without deeds is useless? 21Well, our ancestor Abraham pleased God by putting his son Isaac on the altar to sacrifice him. 22Now you see how Abraham's faith and deeds worked together. He proved that his faith was real by what he did. 23This is what the Scriptures mean by saying, "Abraham had faith in God, and God was pleased with him." That's how Abraham became God's friend.

24You can now see that we please God by what we do and not only by what we believe. 25For example, Rahab had been a prostitute. But she pleased God when she welcomed the spies and sent them home by another way.

26Anyone who doesn't breathe is dead, and faith that doesn't do anything is just as dead!

+++

Matthew 25:31-46 (Contemporary English Version)

The Final Judgment

31When the Son of Man comes in his glory with all of his angels, he will sit on his royal throne. 32The people of all nations will be brought before him, and he will separate them, as shepherds separate their sheep from their goats.

33He will place the sheep on his right and the goats on his left. 34Then the king will say to those on his right, "My father has blessed you! Come and receive the kingdom that was prepared for you before the world was created. 35When I was hungry, you gave me something to eat, and when I was thirsty, you gave me something to drink. When I was a stranger, you welcomed me, 36and when I was naked, you gave me clothes to wear. When I was sick, you took care of me, and when I was in jail, you visited me."

37Then the ones who pleased the Lord will ask, "When did we give you something to eat or drink? 38When did we welcome you as a stranger or give you clothes to wear 39or visit you while you were sick or in jail?"

40The king will answer, "Whenever you did it for any of my people, no matter how unimportant they seemed, you did it for me."

41Then the king will say to those on his left, "Get away from me! You are under God's curse. Go into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels! 42I was hungry, but you did not give me anything to eat, and I was thirsty, but you did not give me anything to drink. 43I was a stranger, but you did not welcome me, and I was naked, but you did not give me any clothes to wear. I was sick and in jail, but you did not take care of me."

44Then the people will ask, "Lord, when did we fail to help you when you were hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in jail?"

45The king will say to them, "Whenever you failed to help any of my people, no matter how unimportant they seemed, you failed to do it for me."

46Then Jesus said, "Those people will be punished forever. But the ones who pleased God will have eternal life."

• Wire
    Favorite Answer

At the time, Luther was letting his little head do the thinking. All he wanted was to marry a nun.

Source(s): Katharina (Katherine) Luther born Katharina von Bora (January 29, 1499 – December 20, 1552) was a German Catholic nun who became the wife of Martin Luther, the leader of the Protestant Reformation, who often fondly called her "my lord Katie." Beyond what is found in the writings of Luther and some of his contemporaries, little is known about her. Despite this, Katharina is often considered one of the most important participants of the Reformation because of her role in helping to define Protestant family life and setting the tone for clergy marriages. She is commemorated in the Calendar of Saints of the Lutheran Church on December 20.

Blessing , yes i think Luther was confused . Paul taught the same message of repentance as Jesus taught. And he taught this same message to all people. Paul says in Acts: "I have declared to both Jews and Greeks that they must turn to God in repentance and have faith in our Lord Jesus." (Acts 20:21) ...................."First to those in Damascus, then to those in Jerusalem and in all Judea, and to the Gentiles also, I preached that they should repent and turn to God and prove their repentance by their deeds." (Acts 26:20) Paul, preaches the importance of deeds, just as Jesus and James also teach the importance of faith. Here he says of the value of deeds: they are important NOT because they are the basis of salvation, but because they are evidence that proves the conversion which, elsewhere, Paul notes as having been based on faith.

Source(s): "...I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven." (Matt. 5:20) "Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect." (Matt. 5:48)(See later how salvation is God's plan for bringing us to this perfection)

i think this to be actual. the ten commandments nonetheless till now each thing look look particular sufficient, human beings take them out of context each and each of the time and turn them around to slot their very own purposes. we could desire to characteristic specificity to them as a fashion to maintain human beings from dislodging them to slot themselves. because of the fact the desires of the international exchange, we could desire to alter our rules with them. case in point, besides the reality that i think there could be there isn't any regulation or perchance a connection with human beings speaking on cellular telephones jointly as utilising interior the ten commandments. that's something that has take place in our very own lifetimes and now rules are getting used to control those strikes. i think that's the thought Martin Luther became into refering to. that's my way of answering. wish it helps.

I sometimes wonder if Luther had some major guilt about his actions and needed to believe that his works didn't count.

• ?

Zealous people define *good* differently than normal humans.

They are always willing to sacrifice your world for their cause.

Unlike Roman Catholics, Christians don't believe that good works can atone for sin.

No. He *did* whine about the book of James in his writings, but I don't think that he either missed or ignored either passage.

Jim, http://www.bible-reviews.com/

Yes!

If you have faith then your works will follow.

• DSV

no one is perfect but god , martin luther knew that