promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Unions essay help??????

For my unions Class, we have to write an 8-10 page essay on the union that we were put into. I was put into the hospital support workers union and i honestly dont know what to write about or argue :S As of right now, a few things that affect the union include privatization and the contracting out of work. Does anyone else have any other ideas that i can write about b/c i doubt i can write 8-10 pages on just the 2 mentioned above. Thanks for the help :)

1 Answer

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

This may give you some ideas to work with.

labor union is as defined in the dictionary, an organization of wage earners

formed for the purpose of serving the members' interests with respect to wages

and working conditions. Today there are about 16 million workers in the U.S.

that belong to a labor union. The pressure upon the employers to raise wages and

improve working conditions in a major goal of the labor unions. Labor unions

have been around for a long time. The earlier unions were called craft unions,

consisting of only a couple members who worked in the same craft. The way unions

negotiate for an employment contract is by collective bargaining. Collective

bargaining is negotiation between the representatives of organized workers and

their employer or employers to determine wages, hours, rules, and working

conditions. When in collective bargaining, the unions represent its members in

negotiations rather than have each worker negotiate individually with an

employer. In order for the collective bargaining process can start a union shop

must be organized. A union shop is a business or industrial establishment whose

employees are required to be union members or to agree to join the union within

a specified time after being hired. Once a union shop is formed the union will

look to negotiate a labor contract, which is a written agreement between the

employer and the union representing employees.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.