Are mirror sliding closet doors ugly?

There's not much of a selection when it comes to closet doors,there's either bifold or sliding closet doors...2 or 3 basic designs...seems like a company should emerge that makes a variety of styles...but do to the fact that these companies are ran by brainless monkeys I have to decide between bifold with the wood louvers or mirror sliding doors...what's more modern thanks yahoo junkies for your help

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

If you watch any decorating shows, all designers seem to get rid of the 1980's mirrored closet doors. I wouldn't get louvered doors either, they get dusty and are a pain to clean. I would choose a wooden or metal door with panels on it, or just a flat front. The advantage of a wooden door is that you can easily paint it anytime to match your room, that way it won't be so noticable, it will just blend in. Check out the HGTV website for other bedroom ideas.

• rowsey
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Louvered Sliding Closet Doors

• 9 years ago

I have mirrored sliding closet doors in my bedrooms and I absolutely love them. They make the room look bigger and add light (by reflecting light from the windows and the fixtures) which is a big bonus! They're also handy for getting dressed.

I also have one set of louvered doors. Although they're very attractive they are a pain in the neck to dust and keep clean. I live in a beach area where we have open windows all of the time and probably more dust than if we had central air conditioning. Constant cleaning is a big downside to louvered doors.

• 9 years ago

If you don't like the mirrors, decorate them with frosting film or wall sickers, you should be able to find a company that will install film in a design of your choice, eg leaving some mirror showing, there are loads of things you can do to make them more attractive and still have the advantage of miffors making the space look bigger. Louvred doors just collect dust, Sign writing firms etc. are a good place to start looking for someone to install film, have a look around you will see company logos etc, cut out used on windows, they use laser technology to cut so you can get a very striking bespoke design on the doors, you can get sliding doors that have frosted designs, but that will cost more and won't be original or necessarily to your taste

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

If you go with the mirrored sliding doors don't put the gold ones; pick a different color. The gold ones just look dated like 1980's dated. I would know cause I am currently trying to get rid of mine for that reason.

• 9 years ago

The biggest concept of mirrored doors are for the room size. Mirrors make the room seem larger. If the room is a good size by itself after you put your furniture in, stick with louvers. if you have room to move, but the room still seems small, go with the mirrors.

• 9 years ago

Hi joey

I think mirrored doors can look good . They certainly make the room look much bigger and are practical. They often look much better than solid wood finish.

Just keep them clean.!!!

Sarah Cox

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.