Why are American troops in Afghanistan and Iraq? Can u remind me?

I forgot. What was the reason again?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

It's as Adam said, to gain access to and maintain control over oil resources in both countries. In the case of Afghanistan, it was initially for Halliburton and cronies to build a pipeline from the Caspian Sea to the south of Afghanistan, so oil tankers could cart the oil away. As long as the Taliban controlled any of Afghanistan, according to testimony from Unocal's CEO to Congress 2 years prior to 9/11, the U.S. and its allies would not be able to get to that oil, because the only other potential pipeline routes from the Caspian Sea were via either Iran, with which we did not have diplomatic relations, or China, which would be too far, too costly, and too vulnerable, given the burgeoning Chinese population of car users, and future car users.

So the Taliban had to go, so Cheney and his pals could build that pipeline south through Afghanistan.

Now it's to ensure the U.S. and it's somewhat uppity puppet government in Afghanistan provide continuous access to that pipeline and Caspian Sea oil supply.

That is, in fact, a key reason for 9/11. Bombing a country to get a terrorist mastermind (Bin Laden) is totally illogical, illegal, insanely costly, and overkill. That excuse is just a farce for the stupid American people to buy into, to get them to agree to fund that war, which is now the longest war in U.S. history.

Source(s): Source: Testimony of John Maresca, "Hearing on U.S. Interests in the Central Asian Republics," House of Representatives, Subcommittee on Asia and the Pacific, Committee on International Relations, Washington, DC., February 12, 1998 http://coat.ncf.ca/our_magazine/links/issue46/arti...
  • 4 years ago

Our military numbers are way down from what they used to be because of all the stop loss that is happening. I am currently in iraq right now and there are So many people that were getting out of the army and they got F***** and had to turn around and come back because there contract got extended because of shortage.. Man going to help Georgia would just end up starting something else up because fighting these two wars is enough you know how hard it will be if we go into it with russia two????? Not a good idea we need to worry about these two right now.... And not only that It was Georgia's fault...

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Something about nonexistent "Weapons of Mass Destruction"...

George Bush and Co imagining things.

And its funny that you "forgot" because after it was learned there were in fact no Weapons of Mass Destruction, that everything was lies, the American People - in their infinite wisdom - voted George Bush into office for a SECOND term! Voters "forgot" so fast it was dizzying!

• ?
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

To protect america's domination over the oil trade and the security of the petrodollar because it fears the rising power of the EURO as a threat to the American economy... Any man with his head screwed on right knows that a war on terror would fail because you can never kill terror you can bomb a foreign nation but these terrorists will just flee to the next third world country and continue to plot their acts of terror its impossible to stop them.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • sciguy
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

Because in order to maintain our version of the global disposition of power it is occasionally required that we arm some of our citizens and pay them to kill people in order to scare other people into doing what we want.

• 9 years ago

Protect oil resources.....New sources of Energy= "A dead Middle East"....

Get Cracking you smart young folks....

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Some people have pointed out that feminism is used as a cover story for occupying these countries i.e. 'We are here to liberate the poor oppressed wimmin (nothing to do with oil)'.

• 9 years ago

cause we are attacking those attackers who attacked us. and in doing so invaded the wrong country under false pretenses and messed it up far worse then when it was under its dictator

thank you george w duchebag

• 9 years ago

Because the U.S. governing officials made it so. My thoughts don't matter when it comes to that decision. I was too young to have a say. Probably wouldn't have mattered a darn, anyways.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Ask reagan

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.