? asked in TravelAfrica & Middle EastIsrael · 9 years ago

Why is it okay to light a giant Menorah in front of the White House?

The ACLU and the Anti-defamation league fought tooth and nail to get Nativity scenes out from in front of governmental buildings and schools. Why are they strangely silent when a Jewish icon is placed in front of the symbolic heart American governance?

Is that not a double standard?

Update:

And what does a tree have to do with Christianity?

Update 2:

The Jewish population of America makes up roughly 2.5% of the total population. The majority is still held by Christians, who don't seem to hold the same level of religious freedom of expression as the Jewish population.

Update 3:

Wow, 2 people read the question. Thats great. This has nothing to do with the tree. The tree is not a symbol of Christianity. The nativity scene was, until ADL and ACLU got it banned. So, once again, Why is it okay when the Menorah is displayed prominently in front of the White House? Quit your deflecting!

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

They are getting too comfortable if you ask me my friend.

It happened before in Europe. Did you know that during the 30ties in order for a musician to join the Vienna Opera orchestra she had to wear David's star on her neck?

What do you think when the unemployed Christian American person watches his Hebrew former boss doing business in Asia, buying super luxury sail boats and condos in the Pacific while millions of people like him are trying to make ends meet in utter poverty and desperation?

The worst thing is that due to "israel" they've lost their "victim" or "holocaust" handicap, used in the past as an emergency exit.

Greetings

• BMCR
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Actually, the White House every single year puts up a giant XMas tree. Since the White House is the president's residence, one cannot say it is simply a "government building".

The president (or past presidents) has also participated in many different faith's holidays, including an end-of-Ramadan feast (and Muslims make up an even less percentage of the American population than Jews).

And since when has the anti defamation league protested against nativity scenes?

• 5 years ago

It is NOT 'ok' - it is 2% of the US population having so much power over 'OUR' government! The USA is in about the same dreadful straits that Weimar Germany was in - circa 1929. Just before Hitler caught on to who was taking Germany away from the German people - the International Jews. Outright stealing a nation. Just as they are doing with America. We are in the gravest danger imaginable!

• 9 years ago

I've wondered these sorts of things myself. Honestly, the best answer I can come up with is this:

Minorities feel they are having Christmas forced down thier throats so they want to get thier two cents in. Even though the holiday of lights isn't really a high holiday.

What sucks is they get all the Chrisitan holidays off and the minority holidays off. If they hate Christmas so much why don't they volunteer to work it so someone else can have off?

Thats those that are employed in fields that work the hollidays. I certainly don't expect a government worker to volunteer to work for another field, I'm saying those employed in fields that work though the hollidays.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

First of all, my friend, You are talking about during the holiday of Hanukkah right? If not correct me.

If you tipe Hanukkah into google images you will get approximately the same amount of Hanukkah Menorah's as the number of trees you will get if you tipe Christmas in the same place. In fact there is only 1 nativity scene on the first 3 pages of photos (and one photo of 3 really hot anime girls dressed in minimal clothing).

In the lobby's of most guarded, or modern, buildings in New York you will find a tree and next to it the Hanukkah Menorah. This is because of the lighting of the candles during every day of the holiday, rather than representing the Jewish religion (It is not smart to light a Menorah next to a tree inside a building).

Edit:

Now that I think of it, I understand that many people mistake the Hanukkah Menorah, or Hanukkiya and the Temple Menorah, which represents the Jewish religion, to be the same thing, but they are not. They are two completely different symbols. The temple Monorah is a 7-branched candelabrum with a very distinct shape and adornments, representing the Jewish religion, while the Hanukkiya is a 9-branched candelabrum, which is strictly used in Hanukkah to represent the 8 days of the holiday (along with the Shamash which is the 9th candle-stick used to light the other 8).

As for how the tree has anything to do with Christianity:

According to Christian lore, the Christmas tree is associated with St Boniface and the German town of Geismar. Sometime in St Boniface's lifetime (c. 672-754) he cut down the tree of Thor in order to disprove the legitimacy of the Norse gods to the local German tribe. St. Boniface saw a fir tree growing in the roots of the old oak. Taking this as a sign of the Christian faith, he said "...let Christ be at the center of your households..." using the fir tree as a symbol of Christianity.

The tradition of the Christmas tree as it is today known is fairly young. It was established by Martin Luther as a Protestant counterpart to the Catholic Nativity scene. Luther established the Christmas tree as a symbol of the Tree of Life in the Garden of Eden.

It seems the ACLU is having Chatholic vs. Protestant problems rather than Christian vs. Jewish and Muslim problems.

As for what I personally think about it, and not only me, but the constitution of the United States. It is that the first amendment of the constitution clearly says, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

It means congress will not establish a state religion, or create its own religion. It will not favour one religion over another, non-religion over religion, or religion over non-religion. It also means congress will not prohibit the free exercise of any religion.

In my opinion, and the opinion of the constitution, Christmas, being a Christian holiday may be practiced and exercised freely be it through nativity scenes or trees.

• ?
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

HONESTLY TRON I DON'T HAVE MUCH PROBLEM W MENORAH AS IT IS IN THE OLD TESTAMENT

however that star of chiun/molech/remphan is atrocious but applicable to zionit in fill traitors

the tree is simply tradition with no bible root. it's a pagan adaptation like the easter bunny satans claws catholic "saints" red/black robes crusades inquisitions etc etc

• JP
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

I dunno...do you have a problem with the giant Christmas tree in the White House?

Oh...did you not realize there is one?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_House_Christmas...

and don't forget

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Christmas_Tr...

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

When I see all of them Jew signs I can't help myself from thinking that the Jews killed Christ and I think they should not remind that action to us because it is not pretty.

They must respect our tradition because it was our folks that built this great country, not them.

Most of them came as fugitives from Germany or the former Soviet Union when everything was done.Thomas

• 9 years ago

i dont know, but maybe it could be for the same reason they are going to build a mosque on top of the site of the twin towers.

i would have to read about the whole story as to why it was there.

• 9 years ago

For a while there I thought you were smart ! this question convinced me you are not.

But before I go, just one question, how many Americans did Jews intentionally murder over the last 25 years.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.