Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureHolidaysRamadan · 9 years ago

Converting to Islam? How do I tell my family & friends?

My family isn't religious, and my dad is extremely hateful towards muslims. (Although I don't live with him.) I don't know how to tell my family, and I'm scared of how my friends will react. Can anyone offer any advice?

I'm a 16 year old Australian btw.

• Answer
    Favorite Answer

Omg dont listen to people's rubbish.

It's hard to tell. If you fear that you will be harmed, but perhaps it is best not to say. If you are not, then just tell them this is my decision which I made after thinking it over. Tell them this is your own personal choice and that Islam will do nothing but make you a better person. Lastly, tell them you are no different in your interaction with others. You are the same person as before.

If you have any questions about Islam and its teachings, email me and I will be more than happy to answer all your questions that I am capable of.

Welcome to the family :)

1

Source(s): End Times Prediction http://givitry.info/EndTimesProphecy

Your family will eventually learn to accept your path. Just take it slow. Say the shahada, do your prayers in secret, read the Quran in secret and basically be a Muslim in secret for a certain amount of time.

Then when you are ready and independent, you are safe to tell your parents, because while you're an adult, they have no control over the choices you'll make in life.

While you're at it, learn about more about Islam. Find out what you can do to increase your Imam. Good luck, sister. :)

I am a Muslim and I want to answer your question. I want to congratulate you for deciding to accept Islam. Do not hesitate, you are making the right choice. You will be truly glad once you enter Islam and start practicing and even more on the Day of Judgment when all of these non-Muslims will be thrown into hellfire who malign Islam today. Think about the happiness you will feel when you will be saved on that day from such sad fate because you made the right decision in this worldly life.

About telling your parents, according to Islam if you fear some repercussions for accepting Islam than you do not need to let anyone know that you have reverted to Islam. You can keep practicing it secretly. If you really do want to let your parents know then you should just say it outright politely and stand by your decision no matter how much opposition you face. Once the matter settles down and everyone calms down live your life with your parents normally. Show them through your behavior and practice the teachings of Islam. Be a good son/daughter and human. Show them what a good human being you have become since you began following Islam's teachings. Show them how Islam wants a person to treat their parents with respect and love and take care of them till their death even if they are are non-Muslims. But do not disobey Allah Almighty when trying to appease to your parents. Your obedience to Allah Almighty is your first priority. Even Allah Almighty says that if your parents order you to disobey me then do not obey them.

Therefore just be brave. Allah Almighty will surely help you; believe in this fact that everything will workout by the grace of Allah. Do not worry everything will be fine and do not be afraid of choosing the right path that is Islam. There are always some hardships for those who walk the path of righteousness but there is always light at the end of the tunnel. My prayers are with you. Assalam-o-Alaikum. :- )

Hey Sis =)

Aslamualikum,

Congragulations =) I'm so glad you found the true path. The greatest achievement anyone can make in this world is to firmly believe in God

Yes you should tell your mom and dad. If they know, then you can fully practice Islam and take care of your duties. Inshallah

Just be gentle with them and let them know that this is what you have decided.

They should love and support you unconditionally. No matter what your believes are.

It's a privilege to see the light and be guided towards Islam. Not everyone sees it until it's too late.

I wish you best of luck =)

May Allah SWT help you through this. Inshallah =)

WOW sister You have the same story as me. Im a revert. Was an agnostic but became muslim at the age of 16.

Islam is the only religion that can prove itself. Chritstianity is baseless. Do your research and then take your shahadah.

Dear muslims :

Over the years, we tried to create humanitarian face from Islam

op #keepislampure

Hope for change and a better future

unfortunately all efforts led to the failure

islam ideology is inherently hospitalized for brutality

as we know, freedom is an undeniable logic and an unavoidable destination for the humanity so..

one day somebody's gonna have to make a stand. one day somebody's gonna have to say "enough"...

enough barbarism ..

enough slavery..

enough Child abuse.

shall we play A game?

verses from the quran

إِنَّمَا جَزَاء الَّذِينَ يُحَارِبُونَ اللّهَ وَرَسُولَهُ وَيَسْعَوْنَ فِي الأَرْضِ فَسَادًا أَن يُقَتَّلُواْ أَوْ يُصَلَّبُواْ أَوْ تُقَطَّعَ أَيْدِيهِمْ وَأَرْجُلُهُم مِّنْ خِلافٍ أَوْ يُنفَوْاْ مِنَ الأَرْضِ ذَلِكَ لَهُمْ خِزْيٌ فِي الدُّنْيَا وَلَهُمْ فِي الآخِرَةِ عَذَابٌ عَظِيمٌ .. مائده/33

The reward of those who wage war against Allah and His Messenger and strive to create disorder in the land is only this that they be slain or crucified or their hands and their feet be cut off on alternate sides, or they be expelled from the land. That shall be a disgrace for them in this world, and in the Hereafter they shall have a great punishment

فَإِذا لَقِيتُمُ الَّذِينَ كَفَرُوا فَضَرْبَ الرِّقَابِ حَتَّى إِذَا أَثْخَنتُمُوهُمْ فَشُدُّوا الْوَثَاقَ فَإِمَّا مَنًّا بَعْدُ وَإِمَّا فِدَاء حَتَّى تَضَعَ الْحَرْبُ أَوْزَارَهَا ذَلِكَ وَلَوْ يَشَاءُ اللَّهُ لَانتَصَرَ مِنْهُمْ وَلَكِن لِّيَبْلُوَ بَعْضَكُم بِبَعْضٍ وَالَّذِينَ قُتِلُوا فِي سَبِيلِ اللَّهِ فَلَن يُضِلَّ أَعْمَالَهُمْ ..محمد/4

And when you meet e those who disbelieve, smite their necks; and, when you have overcome them, bind fast the fetters — then afterwards either release them as a favour or by taking ransom — until the war lays down its burdens. That is the ordinance. And if Allah had so pleased, He could have punished them Himself, but He has willed that He may try some of you by others. And those who are killed in the way of Allah — He will never render their works vain.

يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُواْ قَاتِلُواْ الَّذِينَ يَلُونَكُم مِّنَ الْكُفَّارِ وَلْيَجِدُواْ فِيكُمْ غِلْظَةً وَاعْلَمُواْ أَنَّ اللّهَ مَعَ الْمُتَّقِينَ ..توبه/123

O ye who believe! fight such of the disbelievers as are near to you and let them find savageryin you; and know that Allah is with the righteous

وَقَالَتِ الْيَهُودُ عُزَيْرٌ ابْنُ اللّهِ وَقَالَتْ النَّصَارَى الْمَسِيحُ ابْنُ اللّهِ ذَلِكَ قَوْلُهُم بِأَفْوَاهِهِمْ يُضَاهِؤُونَ قَوْلَ الَّذِينَ كَفَرُواْ مِن قَبْلُ قَاتَلَهُمُ اللّهُ أَنَّى يُؤْفَكُونَ" ..توبه/30

And the Jews say, Ezra is the son of Allah, and the Christians say, the Messiah is the son of Allah; that is what they say with their mouths. They imitate the saying of those who disbelieved before them. Allah’s curse be on them! How are they turned away!

"قَاتِلُواْ الَّذِينَ لاَ يُؤْمِنُونَ بِاللّهِ وَلاَ بِالْيَوْمِ الآخِرِ وَلاَ يُحَرِّمُونَ مَا حَرَّمَ اللّهُ وَرَسُولُهُ وَلاَ يَدِينُونَ دِينَ الْحَقِّ مِنَ الَّذِينَ أُوتُواْ الْكِتَابَ حَتَّى يُعْطُواْ الْجِزْيَةَ عَن يَدٍ وَهُمْ صَاغِرُونَ" ..توبه/29

Fight those from among the People of the Book who believe not in Allah, nor in the Last Day, nor hold as unlawful what Allah and His Messenger have declared to be unlawful, nor follow the true religion, until they pay the tax with their own hand and acknowledge their subjection.

"يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُواْ إِنَّمَا الْمُشْرِكُونَ نَجَسٌ فَلاَ يَقْرَبُواْ الْمَسْجِدَ الْحَرَامَ بَعْدَ عَامِهِمْ هَذَا وَإِنْ خِفْتُمْ عَيْلَةً فَسَوْفَ يُغْنِيكُمُ اللّهُ مِن فَضْلِهِ إِن شَاء إِنَّ اللّهَ عَلِيمٌ حَكِيم "..توبه/28

O ye who believe! surely, the unbelievers are unclean. So they shall not approach the Sacred Mosque after this year of theirs. And if you fear poverty, Allah will enrich you out of His bounty, if He pleases. Surely, Allah is All-Knowing, Wise.

فَإِذَا انسَلَخَ الأَشْهُرُ الْحُرُمُ فَاقْتُلُواْ الْمُشْرِكِينَ حَيْثُ وَجَدتُّمُوهُمْ وَخُذُوهُمْ وَاحْصُرُوهُمْ وَاقْعُدُواْ لَهُمْ كُلَّ مَرْصَدٍ فَإِن تَابُواْ وَأَقَامُواْ الصَّلاَةَ وَآتَوُاْ الزَّكَاةَ فَخَلُّواْ سَبِيلَهُمْ إِنَّ اللّهَ غَفُورٌ رَّحِيمٌ ..توبه/5

And when the forbidden months have passed, kill the unbelievers wherever you find them and take them prisoners, and beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them at every place of ambush. But if they repent and observe Prayer and pay the Zakat, then leave their way free. Surely, Allah is Most Forgiving, Merciful.

وَاللاَّتِي يَأْتِينَ الْفَاحِشَةَ مِن نِّسَآئِكُمْ فَاسْتَشْهِدُواْ عَلَيْهِنَّ أَرْبَعةً مِّنكُمْ فَإِن شَهِدُواْ فَأَمْسِكُوهُنَّ فِي الْبُيُوتِ حَتَّىَ يَتَوَفَّاهُنَّ الْمَوْتُ أَوْ يَجْعَلَ اللّهُ لَهُنَّ سَبِيلًا ..نساء/15

And those of your women who are guilty of lewdness — call to witness four of you against them; and if they bear witness, then confine them to the houses until death overtake them or Allah open for them a way.

وَاللَّذَانَ يَأْتِيَانِهَا مِنكُمْ فَآذُوهُمَا فَإِن تَابَا وَأَصْلَحَا فَأَعْرِضُواْ عَنْهُمَا إِنَّ اللّهَ كَانَ تَوَّابًا رَّحِيمًا ..نساء/16..

And if two men from among you are guilty of it, punish them both. And if they repent and amend, then leave them alone; surely, Allah is Oft-Returning with compassion and is Merciful.

طلاق / 4

وَاللَّائِي يَئِسْنَ مِنَ الْمَحِيضِ مِن نِّسَائِكُمْ إِنِ ارْتَبْتُمْ فَعِدَّتُهُنَّ ثَلَاثَةُ أَشْهُرٍ وَاللَّائِي لَمْ يَحِضْنَ وَأُوْلَاتُ الْأَحْمَالِ أَجَلُهُنَّ أَن يَضَعْنَ حَمْلَهُنَّ وَمَن يَتَّقِ اللَّهَ يَجْعَل لَّهُ مِنْ أَمْرِهِ يُسْرًا

And those of your women as have passed the age of monthly courses, for them the 'Iddah (prescribed period), if you have doubts (about their periods), is three months, and for those who have no courses [(i.e. they are still immature) their 'Iddah (prescribed period) is three months likewise, except in case of death] . And for those who are pregnant (whether they are divorced or their husbands are dead), their 'Iddah (prescribed period) is until they deliver (their burdens), and whosoever fears Allah and keeps his duty to Him, He will make his matter easy for him.

بقره/ 221

وَلاَ تَنكِحُواْ الْمُشْرِكَاتِ حَتَّى يُؤْمِنَّ وَلأَمَةٌ مُّؤْمِنَةٌ خَيْرٌ مِّن مُّشْرِكَةٍ وَلَوْ أَعْجَبَتْكُمْ وَلاَ تُنكِحُواْ الْمُشِرِكِينَ حَتَّى يُؤْمِنُواْ وَلَعَبْدٌ مُّؤْمِنٌ خَيْرٌ مِّن مُّشْرِكٍ وَلَوْ أَعْجَبَكُمْ أُوْلَـئِكَ يَدْعُونَ إِلَى النَّارِ وَاللّهُ يَدْعُوَ إِلَى الْجَنَّةِ وَالْمَغْفِرَةِ بِإِذْنِهِ وَيُبَيِّنُ آيَاتِهِ لِلنَّاسِ لَعَلَّهُمْ يَتَذَكَّرُونَ .

And do not marry Al-Mushrikat (unbelievers, etc.) till they believe (worship Allah Alone). And indeed a slave woman who believes is better than a (free) Mushrikah (unbelievers, etc.), even though she pleases you. And give not (your daughters) in marriage to Al-Mushrikun till they believe (in Allah Alone) and verily, a believing slave is better than a (free) Mushrik (unbelievers, etc.), even though he pleases you. Those (Al-Mushrikun) invite you to the Fire, but Allah invites (you) to Paradise and Forgiveness by His Leave, and makes His Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) clear to mankind that they may remember.

G4ME !5 OV3R

We are Anonymous.

We are Legion.

We do not forgive.

We do not forget.

Expect us...

• welcome to religion of peace may allah reward you for all your deeds and action

you can practice islam in secret without telling your family about so just wait for few month or a year because you need to be more established in Islamic practices, and you need time to make friends and build a support system within the Muslim community. This is so that if your parents react to your announcement by attempting to "deprogram you," or schedule "an appointment" with the local minister / priest / rabbi, you will be able to rely on your knowledge of Qur'an, and the strength that being a practicing Muslim has given you. Allowing yourself time to build a support system within the Muslim community is important so that you will have friends to help and guide you, to help answer any questions or concerns your family might have, and to help you out should your parents decide that you can no longer live in their house.

If you are fearful that your family may react with physical abuse, or a kidnapping and "deprogramming" attempt (yes, it happens), please make sure that you have someone there as a witness and support. Whether you are Muslim or not, you have the right not to be abused. If your family is abusive towards you, seek the necessary help to get out of that situation as soon as possible.

Another reason that it might be wise to wait awhile is to allow your parents to see the positive changes that Islam will bring about in you: greater care to hygiene and appearance, greater discipline in your daily activities and your schoolwork, the fact that you are not falling under negative peer pressure to drink or drug or have sex, that you are more willing to honor your parents by helping around the house, that you are more attentive in your job (if you have one), etc. Allow them time to be pleased with these positive changes, so that they may see that Islam is for the better, not just for you, but for all people. If they see that Islam is "good for you," they may react more positively when you talk with them about it.

hope i ve helped you

Source(s): tnhz
  • ?

Qur'an [31:15]

But if they endeavor to make you associate with Me that of which you have no knowledge, do not obey them but accompany them in [this] world with appropriate kindness and follow the way of those who turn back to Me [in repentance]. Then to Me will be your return, and I will inform you about what you used to do.

Qur'an [41:30]

Indeed, those who have said, "Our Lord is Allah " and then remained on a right course - the angels will descend upon them, [saying], "Do not fear and do not grieve but receive good tidings of Paradise, which you were promised.

welcome to islam.

Source(s): Allah knows best.

I hope there r some knowledgeable users left here to better answer ur question.

Congratulations and mubarak :)

I bet if u were to become an atheist ur parents would be just fine with it but people (that know nothing about Islam) become close minded when it comes to reverting to Islam. Tell them Islam will only help u become a better person and if they still dun listen tell em they gotta respect ur choice even if they're not supportive.

• zahid

Questions by those interested in becoming Muslim

I WANT TO BECOME MUSLIM BUT.. I am a Hindu Girl and I want to become Muslim. But I am afraid of hurting my parents. What should i do?

Can any one become Muslim. Does it matter what race are or age I am?

There are no Muslims or Masjids (Mosques) or Islamic centers in your town. What to do?

I want to embrace Islam but have been advised to wait. Should you wait?

Don't Hesitate Once You've Decided Islam is the Truth

I Want to Become A Muslim... But What About My Wild Past

You have tattoos or done lots of sins. You can still become a Muslim. Islam wipes out all sins before converting to Islam.

Is it obligatory to change one's name upon accepting Islam?

How a new Muslim should change his name

http://muslimconverts.com/

One of the fears most converts have after and even before converting to Islam is, ?how do I tell my parents that I have become a Muslim?. on our .................................

http://muslimconverts.com/converts_issues/telling-...