alfern73 asked in SportsBaseball · 10 years ago

Should I put my son on the travel baseball team?

My 7 year old son, Ive been told by coaches has great potential to be a great baseball player. Baseball practices are starting up again and he just doesn't seem excited to play. He wants to just play basketball because he says its funner. But I feel guilty and almost feel I should make him play baseball because he has more potential in it than basketball. What should I do?

• Veto R
    Favorite Answer

Let him be a child and enjoy all of the sports. We are taking so much fun out of childhood by traveling teams, all-star teams, etc. and etc. that take up all the kid's time and puts enormous pressure on them to win. Let him play basketball. Let him play football. Let him play soccer. And the mere fact that he isn't excited to play travel-league baseball should tell you that he is already feeling the stress of having to win, of having to perform at a top level. And, he's only seven years old.

I wouldn't think about traveling teams in any sport until he was 13 or 14. Until then, kids should play the sport for the love of the game, for the love of playing with their friends, and not have any pressure on them to perform at a high level or win games. Yes, stress the fundamentals. Make sure the batting stance is right, the fielding stance is right, the throw to first, etc., is right. But let them have fun. Your son is only going to be seven one time.

If you press him to play baseball, he may lose his joy of the game. As a sports writer who has covered a lot of high school, recreation ball and travel teams, I've seen it happen a lot. The constant grind of the travel team, the constant demand to play at a high level, takes out most of the joy. Yes, travel team players have friends on the team and they get to stay in cut-rate motels in distant towns four to a room. But they are there to win a game, to win a tournament and if they don't, it removes all the joy.

Also, make sure that he is playing baseball because he wants to play baseball and not because you have some lingering fantasy that you could be in the pros today if some Major League scout just saw you at the right time. For a kid to enjoy the game, they have to play it for themselves and not live out some parent's nightmare fantasy. Right now, and I can't stress this enough, your son is only seven years old, he needs to have fun playing and developing relationships, not being the star that you wanted to be, if that is the case. Enjoy the time you have with your child, whether he grows up to be a Hall of Fame baseball player or a hall of fame businessman, engineer, lawyer or doctor. What you do now, how you treat him now, will have a lifetime of effect on him. Don't pressure him to do something he doesn't want to do because you really want him to do it. Make sure of your own motives for wanting him to play on the traveling team.

Right now let your son play Little League in the spring and summer, football in the Fall, basketball in the winter, soccer in either the fall or spring and let him just enjoy being a kid and having fun with his friends playing a team game. Praise him when he has a good game, build him up when he doesn't, and offer constructive criticism that goes to help his fundamentals, not to whether or not he is a loser because he struck out with the bases loaded in the bottom of the sixth inning. My wish is that both you and your son can enjoy this period of his life, knowing he will soon be 21 and have a life of his own, independent from yours and that now you are laying the foundation for your relationship when he passes the age of 21...

Seven years old is quite young to be taking baseball to extreme levels. A seven year old travel team? He's seven. I love baseball, teach baseball and played baseball for 14 years.

When I was seven I played baseball, yes, but I also climbed trees, played army and spent time with family and friends.

I would let him play the sport that makes him happy. You can always gently lead him in the direction of baseball by asking me to play catch, hit the ball and watch games on TV.

Many times when a seven year old becomes an eight year old...he can easily change his mind and start liking football. You never know.

Lead and guide him like a good parent does but don't push him.

Good luck!

• Joe

The most important point is he chooses and enjoy what he decides to play.

I understand that you baseball loving father (and all of us baseball loving people) would like to see your son pick baseball. But it is his life and no-one can push him to play baseball. Sure, you are his father and you can encourage him to play baseball. The worst thing can happen is he feels he was forced to play baseball and eventually hate baseball. That will be the saddest thing to happen. Most likely I will never see you or your son. Still, as a baseball lover, I don't want it to happen. The only reason he doesn't seem excited about baseball could be "Why baseball? It is nearly over and into basketball season now".

He may pick baseball one day because "My daddy loves baseball and I want to spend time with my daddy (Look, I used the word "want to" not "to please my daddy")"

By the way, it is nice to see many people spend time to give such long answers.

Isn't it nice that we baseball lovers care each other?

• ?

Show him the major leagues and stars like Derek Jeter and others. Explain to him that a lot of people have talked to you and said that they'd want him on the team because they thought he was a great player.

Let him play both if he can. Mark Teixeira of the Yankees said he played both and Soccer too. He said it was really important that he played all those other sports and would encourage others to do the same. Seems like a smart guy and crushing the ball in post-season right now.

Show him Tex, Jeter, Granderson, Cano and how professional the game is. Take him to some games too but take him to all games. Don't hate me for being an obvious Yankees fan...

Ultimately it is your sons choice, but I hope you can find good advice in my answer.

Good luck

(thumbs up to Amy-I like that answer)

Source(s): Dream

Let him enjoy basketball season and then strongly encourage/make him play baseball. At seven he might only be thinking about his friends on the team or how boring practices can sometimes be, but you are older and wiser and know that a well rounded kid can make better choices as he matures.

He's 7 years old. He's got a few years before he really needs to invest a lot of time in his sport of choice. I would say let him have his time, just don't let him give up on baseball. He can play both, there is nothing restricting that. There are many stories of MLB players who didn't play ball growing up or switched positions in college. He's still young - he'll be fine.

Only an opinion, but let him decide. Let him play whatever he wants so he doesn't get burned out on one sport. He can specialize when he get older and finds out which one he loves.

Let him make his own decision but also let him know your opinion in the matter.