Why is my grandma scared that I might get pregnant?

I am a 19 year old virgin. I am in college and I never had a boyfriend. I have met this great guy, he is 23, and we might be in a relationship. My grandma is old fashioned and religious(wait until marriage to have sex). There has been girls she know from church who have went to college and got pregnant. She knows I am a good girl and I told her(she knows) I don't have sex. She also warns me about getting close to guys and having them over. I think I am responsible. The only thing me and the 23 year have did was kissed and he has been over before. How do I get her to understand that I am responsible? And that if I do have sex, that it doesn't make me any different?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • KennyG
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Best Answer

Grandma grew up believing in "no sex before marriage" ; it's a great rule and can prevent a lot of accidents associated with choosing the wrong mates...like fewer girls raising babies alone because their commitment-phobic bfs have abandoned them, etc. (I agree with her.) You may be able to convince her that she can trust you to be careful, but you will never convince her that if you have sex, you are still the girl she hoped you were growing up to be. People in her generation had a great deal more restraint and self-discipline than people do now...and the world shows evidence of this morality lapse everywhere you look.

• 9 years ago

She knows that if you get pregnant then you might not be able to continue going to school. If you don't continue your education it will mean the loss of your dreams and opportunities for the best life possible. She has life experience that tells her what happens if a girl has an unplanned pregnancy. She might know of some date rapes, but due to her background can not discuss that type of thing.

Why don't you and your boyfriend take grandma out to dinner or go over there so she can meet him?

I am of a different mindset than your grandmother. As a 19 year old college student, I feel you are old enough to decide for yourself if you want to have sex. I only hope that you will see a doctor prior so you are protected from an unplanned pregnancy. You should also know about the medication available if you have unprotected sex. The limited time frame you have in which to take it. It is the same time I hope for a woman who waited until she was married.

• Jorge
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

All my elders including my parents, still have that idea. I am not and have never been allowed to be by myself inside a house with a girl unless she is my wife. Of course I have had many girls in my life, but I was always told that is sinful and a disrespect, and also to be careful with illnesses such as AIDS. Now days people live together before being married, but my elders do not agree with it. They say in order to live together we must be married first. In case you are wondering I come from a hispanic family. I am a guy and I have been told those things that they are telling you.

Source(s): Another thing. Condoms are not 100% protected.
  • 9 years ago

the first 2 sentences. ur 19, virgin, in college, and never had a boy friend. tell her that if u do have sex u will use a condom

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

The best way to explain things to old people is to say it VERY LOUD and talk to them like they're children. Be as condescending as possible and bring a lot of tin foil, as this will distract her. If she still doesn't listen to reason, threaten to put her in a home. She'll see things your way, one way or another. I promise you that.

Source(s): The streets
  • 9 years ago

be a suck up and say that you arent stupid and would never be stupid enough to get pregnant. and say that you learned this all from her and she taught you well and stuff make her feel superior

• 9 years ago

with the hindsight and wisdom that comes with old age, your grandma knows that its VERY POSSIBLE that hormones and lust can overpower your willpower

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

You need to get laid

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.