As a senior citizen I am interested in getting a grant to continue my education. Please explain how it works.?

Unfortunately, I had to quit college in my younger years for personal reasons, and have not had the opportunity until now, or the monies to go back and finish what I started. In any event, if there is any way I could at least jump-start my educational goals without having to pay out any money, that would certainly be a blessing in disguise. I would appreciate any suggestions and/or advice Thanks in advance.

• R
    Favorite Answer

do you know what major you will be pursuing? that should be your first goal. then decide on what school you want to attend. you stated that you had to quit college back in the day so i am not sure how far along you were in your education at the time. state colleges and universities are a lot cheaper than these on-line for-profit schools that you see advertised all over the web.

to apply for any and all federal student loans (borrowed money, must be paid back), grants (free money! they dont have to be paid back) and/or work-study (a part-time job on campus), you must fill out the FAFSA each year. this is a *FREE* application that helps determine what type of federal aid you may be eligible for.

there are also a variety of different scholarship opportunities for women like yourself, who are going back to college after many years:

The Jeannette Rankin Foundation Women's Scholarship Fund awards scholarships to low-income women age 35 or older who are US citizens. The deadline is March 1.

Patsy Takemoto Mink Education Foundation

The Patsy Mink Foundation offers five $2,000 scholarships for low-income women with children each year. The deadline is July 1.

The Association on American Indian Affairs offers Displaced Homemaker Scholarships in the amount of $1,500 each to those men and women who would not otherwise be able to complete their educational goals due to family responsibilities. This scholarship is generally for older students who have put off college to raise their children and students who are returning to college after raising their children. If you have questions about whether you qualify as a displaced homemaker contact Lisa Wyzlic at lw.aaia@verizon.net or 240-314-7155. Funds in the amount of $750 per semester are disbursed directly to the college pending satisfactory progress. Funds may be used to assist with childcare, transportation and basic living expenses in addition to educational costs. Spring disbursement requires a copy of the fall semester's grades and a spring semester class schedule. This scholarship does not automatically renew. Students are eligible to apply on a yearly basis

Orville Redenbacher Second Start Scholarship

As its name indicates, this scholarship is sponsored by the popcorn company. It is a $1,000 award for students over the age of 30 who are either returning to college to complete a degree or who are first-time college students. Applicants can be either a full-time student or a part-time student. Students can obtain an application form by writing to:

Orville Redenbacher Second Start Scholarship Program

Box 4137

Blair, NE 68009

good luck!

Source(s): FAFSA.gov

you need to observe on your FAFSA (federally funded help/supplies you) and bypass into the college to work out what scholarships are attainable...( In FL the state funded supplies you're dispersed direstly to the colleges and given out by making use of them) the countless scholarships I had gotten are childcare scholarship and a pupil help scholarship(via the college/state) maximum of your funds ought to come from federal point (FAFSA). In all, I have been given decrease back very virtually $2000 after training, books, lab and conventional expenditures, and gets yet another $1700 on the tip of the semester (the quantity reimbersed for training) And in order that which you be attentive to, you may fill out a FAFSA just to work out how a lot would be paid for, you dont ought to bypass to college that twelve months. it relatively is not any longer a dedication. And if your state supplies supplies you indivisually, bypass to or call the financial help place of work @ the faculty you have an interest in and that they are able to offer you greater concepts. additionally verify for inner maximum supplies you and scholarships sponsered by making use of community agencies/agencies