Lisa D
Lisa D asked in HealthAlternative Medicine · 10 years ago

Natural antibiotics for sinus infections?

I have recurring sinus infections, and my body seems to yelp whenever I start any antibiotics. I think I'm just plain done with all that. My latest snafu was getting Levaquin which promptly caused my left shoulder a lotta pain (felt just like fibromyalgia).

I know there are natural alternatives to antibiotics. I researched a little bit and learned about honey, garlic and colloidal silver. I'm partial to the honey, however. Who has a lot of experience with natural healing? Which route would be best for healing sinus infections?

I do have some colloidal silver nasal spray, but it's probably over 2 years old...is it still good, or should I throw it out and buy fresh?

Well, since nobody ever answers my questions who believe in natural healing, I'll answer myself. Colloidal silver nasal spray is great for sinus infections; just don't do this more than 10 days in a row. Honey is a great natural antibiotic. 1 Tbsp of honey with 1/4 Tbsp cinnamon, 3x a day for 3 days should do the trick. And a few drops of hydrogen peroxide in the ears should clean and clear out any gunk/infection in my ears. I also learned that taking vitamin B should help my immunity problem, so I better start doing that again.

Favorite Answer

Food Therapy:

Barely green, which can be used in juices or simply sprinkled on salads as a topping, helps some people with sinus problems, says Julian Whitaker, M.D., founder and president off the Whitaker Wellness Center in Newport Beach, California. Barley green is available in most health food stores.

Hydrotherapy:

A hot water bottle is a simple, effective way to relieve sinus pain, says Agatha Thrash, M.D., a medical pathologist and co-founder and co-director of Uchee Pines Institute, a natural healing center in Seale, Alabama.

Fill about half of the bottle with hot (never boiling) water, wrap it in a towel and hold it against your nose and forehead until the pain subside.

Juice Therapy:

Both apple and dark grape juices may be beneficial to those with sinus problems, says John Peterson, M.D., an Ayurvedic practition in Muncie, Indiana. He recommends drinking the juices at room temperature and apart from meals.

You can dilute either juice with water if it seems too strong, he adds.

Vitamin and Mineral Therapy:

Use a food sensitivity diet to eliminate any foods that might have a role in causing sinus problems, says David Edelberg, M.D., an internist and medical director of the American Holistic Center/Chicago.

He also says to use steam inhalation with eucalyptus oil added to the water. And he says a person with sinus problems may want to try the following regimen of dietary supplements to help relieve symptoms: 2,000 milligrams of vitamin C twice a day; 400 international units of vitamin E twice a day; and 500 millgrams of n-acetycysteine twice a day.

Both eucalyptus oil and n-acetylcysteine are available in most health food stores.

Yoga:

You can help both prevent and treat sinus problems if you do a yoga nasal wash, called neti, once a day, says Stephen A. Nezezon, M.D., yoga teacher and staff physician at the Himalayan International Institute of Yoga Science and Philosophy in Honesdale, Pennsylvania.

Start by filling a four-ounce paper cup halfway with warm water, then add 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Put a small crease in the lip of the cup so that it forms a spout. Slightly tilt your head back and to the left. Then slowly pour the water into your right nostril. The water will flow out of your left nostril or down the back of your throat if your left nostril is clogged.

Spit out the water if it goes down your throat, or wipe the water from your face with a hand towel if it flows out your left nostril. Fill the cup again, then repeat the procedure on the other side, pouring the water into your left nostril and tilting your head to the riht so that the water flows out of your right nostril.

Hope this help answer your question. And maybe this research with your research will even inlighten some one else

Source(s): New CHOICES in NATURAL HEALING PREVENTION Magazine Health Books
  • Donna

the previous answer is right but sounds like a lot of work to me. here are a couple of helpful suggestions. i used to get horrible sinus infetions. i started taking Guaifenesin when it was cold or sinus season and haven't had to take an antibiotic for a sinus infection since. the brand name over the counter of Guaifenesin is mucinex. aslo eucalyptus oil is great to help clear the sinuses. if you can't find just eucalyptus oil get some vicks. smell it several times a day even when you get over this it has great healing powers. if you can get your sinus to drain you may not need an antibiotic to clear this up. hope you get to feeling better.

A warm salt-water solution poured through the nose provides great relief in sinusitis. A ceramic pot (a plastic one may also be used, it is far easier to carry) known as a “neti lota”, makes this procedure very easy. Fill the pot with warm water and add enough salt so the solution tastes like tears. Stand over a sink and tilt your head far to one side so that your ear is parallel to the floor, and pour the solution into the upper nostril, allowing it to drain through the lower nostril. You have to breathe through your mouth while doing this. Gently blow your nose using your gut muscles without applying pressure on your lungs as this may throw the mucus along with the bacteria back into your throat and the Eustachian tubes. Repeat on the other side. This procedure may be performed two or three times a day. It is a part of the yogic therapy and is extremely beneficial in sinusitis.

Yoga (neti pot use is actually a part of it) is extremely beneficial, especially when you use herbs along with it.

Usually, your sinusitis will require the use of antibiotics (I have myself taken tons of them) to get rid of bacteria and other organisms. Natural and holistic treatments have also been used for centuries to reduce the symptoms of sinusitis. Very often, conventional medications have harsh side effects and using more natural alternatives like herbal and homeopathic remedies are much safer and gentler for the body.

Herbal remedies are there to alleviate the symptoms by reducing inflammation and, if you still take prescription medications, also help them in curing the infection. Of course, some of them like Echinacea, help tremendously in not only giving a fillip to your immune system but also help prevent colds and shorten the duration of your cold or flu.

A highly effective herb is Quercitin which contains anti-oxidants and helps to promote healthy circulation and boosts immunity. Another carefully selected herb is Euphrasia officinalis (Eyebright) which is beneficial for good eye health. In addition, homeopathic ingredients such as Arsen alb, Nat. mur. and Kali mur. help to maintain the skin and nervous system as well as liver health.

You may get additional details over here http://www.healthherbsandnutrition.com/remedies/s/...

Fill up a water bottle with hot tap water and then roll it gently over your offending sinus. The bottle I use had ridges and I think that helps to break up the mucus.

1

Source(s): Sciatica Medications http://ReliefSciaticaNaturally.enle.info/?9fkp