Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 decade ago

What are the minimum and maximum sentences for Attempted Strong-Armed Robbery in the state of Maryland?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Bruce
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The Maryland Criminal Code provides a maximum of 15 years for strong arm (unarmed) robbery or an attempt. Use a weapon or threaten to use a weapon and it is a maximum of 20 years.

There is no minimum. That is determined by the prosecutor and/or judge. Because every case is different and because of the amount of discretion the courts have, it is impossible to predict a sentence. Any who does is just making a wild guess.

§ 3-402. Robbery.

(a) Prohibited.- A person may not commit or attempt to commit robbery.

(b) Penalty.- A person who violates this section is guilty of a felony and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 15 years.

[An. Code 1957, art. 27, § 486(c), (d); 2002, ch. 26, § 2; 2005, ch. 567.]

§ 3-403. Robbery with dangerous weapon.

(a) Prohibited.- A person may not commit or attempt to commit robbery under § 3-402 of this subtitle:

(1) with a dangerous weapon; or

(2) by displaying a written instrument claiming that the person has possession of a dangerous weapon.

(b) Penalty.- A person who violates this section is guilty of a felony and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 20 years.

[An. Code 1957, art. 27, § 487; 2002, ch. 26, § 2; 2005, ch. 567.]

Source(s): Law enforcement since 1991
  • 4 years ago

Attempted Robbery Sentence

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

In Missouri, he can be charged as an adult. Especially if he has priors. And I love how you say "with only a few misdemeanors under his record". Guess what....The vast majority of minors have no misdemeanors. Armed robbery is a Class A felony and the maximum punishment is 30 years in the State penn. Also, he would be charged with Armed Criminal Action, which adds other 3 years to whatever sentence he receives. 30 years isn't very realistic. But as defined by state statue, it is the maximum.

• 1 decade ago

depends on if there was violence involved. if he beat someone then at least a year and probation- but if he used a bat or something he could face up to 5 years-- he had better get a good public defender cause if he had to rob someone he probably can't afford a good lawyer, -or spell lawyer for that matter!! But you can look up laws in that state- probably maryland.gov- or -org- or my maryland .whatever and find out quickly.

Source(s): I have a family that has been in law enforcement- and lawyers- and a friend who is a states attorny, so thats how I know.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.