Can taking pain killers make you angry or asker your mood negatively?

anytime my boyfriend takes any kind of pain killer he gets really mean. I know pain killers usually maker you happy.. Is it possible for it to be the opposite with some people?
Update: No its perscription.. Darvecet? And yes, he does have a tendency to externalize his stress. But when he's on pain meds, and its not often, he just has old injuries that can sometimes get reinjured. But when he takes perscription pain meds, he gets really angry and cranky, and mean. It was right after they... show more No its perscription.. Darvecet?

And yes, he does have a tendency to externalize his stress.

But when he's on pain meds, and its not often, he just has old injuries that can sometimes get reinjured. But when he takes perscription pain meds, he gets really angry and cranky, and mean. It was right after they kicked in, so I know its not them wearing off either.