My bathroom/kitchen drains empty very slowly. Any tips ( tried Drano ) to unblock them and avoid plumber ?

Liquid plumber/Drano did not totally fix the problem. Is there a plastic tube one can use to unclog the drain ?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

There is a really simple solution to this that does not involve burning a hole in your pipes with too much chemicals.

Look under your sink. You will see that the drain goes down and then turns back upward. This is called a sink trap. It is designed to trap objects so they don't flow into the sewer and get lost forever. Thus a ring or similar expensive item can be retrieved easily.

Get a pair of vice grips, channel locks, or pipe wrench. Put a bucket under the trap (it also traps water and is always full). Take off the two nuts that hold the trap on.

The trap will be filled with hair, toothpaste caps, bobby pins, and everything else imaginable. This is the reason for your slow drain. Clean the trap out using a wire hanger or whatever you can feed inside to get everything out of it. You probably want to wear some rubber gloves cause it WILL be disgusting.

Once clean, put the trap back on (don't forget to check for leaks and tighten as needed), and be prepared to be amazed as your water flows down the drain like you just installed a brand new sink.

Source(s): Skilled Builder
  • 9 years ago

There is a product that is available at home improvement/hardware stores called "plumber's acid". It is much more effective than Drano or Liquid Plumber. However, you need to be VERY careful working with it. Read the directions carefully, and follow them!

There are tools that can be run down the drain to unblock it - it is called a "snake". It is a long wire coil with a bulge on the end. They are kind of a pain to work with (unless you are going to spend the bucks for the powered one) and they can be a bit messy when you pull them out of the drain - but if there is a clog within the length of the snake, it will clear it. (If you are going to get a snake, go ahead and get a 25'. The cost is only a few dollars more and you might as well have the extra capacity.)

There is also a shorter version of a snake - a plastic strip about 18 inches long with "barbs" along the edges. This can be used to remove hair from bathroom sinks and bathtub/shower drains.

Good Luck!

• 9 years ago

when ever i have this problem the first thing i do is open up the stopper in the drain hole, then i take the end of a cloths hanger wire or other steady wire and bend a small hook in the end of it. using the hooked wire i reach down and most always pull out a hair clog in the bathroom sink. when it come to the kitchen sink, the problem may be in the sink trap below the sink, clogged grease and food build up rests in the lower bend of the pipe, if the wire does not produce particles of the clog then you may have to undo the pipe below and clean out the trap. if that does not work , the clog may be farther down the line and require a pluming snake to get it out.

Source(s): DIy
  • 9 years ago

Put half cup of baking soda into the drain, followed by half cup of white vinegar. Cover the drain with glass and leave it overnight. The next morning, flush the drain with hot water.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

I second what Mark S said (NOT all the chemicals):

simply take the trap apart; it's most likely clogged; it's messy, but can be done quickly; it's more effective and safer than using chemicals...

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

if you are able to get a garden hose through the window , stick it down the drain and get someone to turn water on full bore, that's what i do

• 9 years ago

go loonie store and get snake like wire to unclog and remove the grease and access hair in it...

• Ghost
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

Baking soda.

• 9 years ago

Try alkaseltzer. My mom used that & it worked.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.