Kai asked in Education & ReferencePreschool · 10 years ago

help on 4 year olds????????

there is this four year old kid in my little day care group so hes not mine i don't understand him though when i ask him what his favorite color is and he says pink, when i ask him what his favorite toy is he says barbies he says he like barbie miovies and stuff of course i dont say anything about it that will scare him i just smile and say thats cool like when the other boys say they like green and trucks so like whats up with that?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

It's really not an issue, so don't make it one. He may even want to play in dramatic play and try on dresses, etc. Don't worry about it. He may just be trying on roles, and that's ok. That's one of the ways children learn more about being a mom and what it's like to raise kids, and so on. He will most likely grow up to be a standard male without issues. If he says pink is his favorite color, say hey me too! But I like red and blue and green too, so I guess I really like all colors!

Source(s): ECE teacher, mother of 3, grandmother of a whole bunch
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Ann
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

What's up with what? You have nothing to be concerned about, and you have no need to talk to his parents. So what if he likes pink and barbies? I have two boys. One and three. I'm married to their father, so he is in the picture. I am the only female in my house other than my cat. My boys have a pink pony, a princess book, a barbie, a strawberry shortcake toy and a baby doll. Does it really matter? I am teaching my kids that those toys are for boys just as much as they are for girls. I am teaching them that pink is not exclusively for girls. It is because of people like you that boys get bullied for that stuff.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Many children at this age are still trying to figure out their preferences for different things. Just because his responses don't conform to your idea of what a "normal" 4-yr. old boy should express, it doesn't mean that there is something wrong with him. I used to let all of my boys play with dolls, including Barbie if they wanted to. So what if he prefers pink. Support his choices no matter what they are. Angela

• 9 years ago

There's nothing wrong with that. There's not supposed to be "girl's toys" and "boy's toys", everybody can play with everything. You could introduce him to other toys and colors as well, but don't force it, since this will turn his preferences into a problem and could create major problems for his self esteem and even for his development.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with that.

I hate it when people stereotype! Like girls play with barbies and boys play with trucks. HEY! not all kids know these stereotypes! They'll just go and do whatever seems fun!

Let him be, he'll turn out perfectly normal

• 10 years ago

Maybe this child is being raised in a household that is inhabited by women only. You may want to discuss this concern with his parent or parents. When children are at this age they sometimes do things that will surprise us as adults. Maybe this is a phase this child is going through.

Source(s): Myself
  • Bobbi
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

probably plays with girls alot at home, or follows his older sister or girl cousin in her likes.

• 10 years ago

He might be going through some serious problems.......might think he's a girl.

He will probably grow up to be gay.

plz answer my question i need opinions!

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AqNwF...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.