claire asked in TravelCaribbeanAruba · 9 years ago

us preclearance at aruba airport?

Does anyone know how the us preclearance works at aruba airport for us passengers? Instead of going through immigration and customs at Newark airport, I can actually go for it at the airport in Aruba and fly as a domestic passenger. Is that true?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Gerd P
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

After checking in at the airport with the pre-clearance facilities, you take your baggage and passport to the U.S. Customs & Border Protection facility there. A uniformed C&PB official stationed in that country then runs a computer check and takes your Customs Declaration form.

Once the official clears you to board the aircraft, you turn your baggage over to an airline representative, clear security, and walk to the gate. You arrive back in the United States as a domestic passenger and walk off the flight as if you were arriving from any other point in the United States. Although C&BP has the authority to recheck passengers again once they arrive into the United States, this is only done in very exceptional cases.

Pre-clearance facilities are located in:

• Aruba

• Bahamas (Freeport, Nassau)

• Bermuda

• Canada (Calgary, Edmonton, Halifax, Montreal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Victoria, Winnipeg)

• Ireland (Dublin, Shannon)

However, you need to check whether your airline participates in this program. If you travel from Ireland on AerLingus you can't use it.

Source(s):

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/precle... ..

• Login to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

I have been to Aruba many time and yes, this is true. When you check in with your airline in Aruba for your return to Newark, they give you your customs form to give to the US customs agent. After check in you proceed to the Aruban customs where they take a visitors form they give you on your flight to Aruba and they check your passport and boarding pass. You then go through the first of 2 security checks. After the first security check there is the shopping area like in the US so you can pick up last minute things. After that you walk through a door that says " you are now entering the US". You pick up your checked luggage, go to the US customs agent, hand in your form the airline gave you. You then drop your checked luggage on the conveyor for your airline. After dropping that off you go through the 2nd security check and then proceed to your gate. Have a great time in my home away from home!

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

It happens exactly as the person above stated.

Source(s): I went to Aruba in Feb 2009.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.