Me and my boyfriend have been together 5 years and have a daughter who is almot 2. We are breaking up.?

I was wondering if he would have to pay me any type of spousal support even though we arent married. I Barely work. i work 2 days a week and thats it. maybe make 60 a week. i been with him 5 years and have never really worked much. He pays everything. My daughter will go with me wherever i go because i am the parent who really takes care of her. he works too much. i was just woneirng if anybody knew what would happen. he makes about 2500 a month. how much would i get for child support and will he b ordered to help me get my own place or anything? if not im really screwed and will b homeless.

Just so everyone knows i do work and i only work 2 days week because they cut my hours not because thats all i wanna work.. i am looking for another job... and the baby is coming with me....he cant take care of her like me...

• Liz

Do you not understand what "spousal" support means? You were never his spouse, so why should you be entitled to something that is intended for a former spouse?

He will have to pay child support to financially contribute to the raising of his child. A judge will have to determine the amount.

As for being "screwed and homeless", you have made two stupid mistakes.

Number one, you have made yourself financially dependent on someone. Always a bad idea.

Number two, you thought it was a good idea to bring a child into this world when you couldn't even support yourself financially.

You will not receive spousal support. The only thing you would be entitled to would be child support. How much you receive would depend on how much parenting time each of you have with the child and what state you live in. If you had the child 100% of the time and lived in my state (WI), you would receive $425/month in child support.

You need to start looking after yourself. Go get a job. Get on assistance such as WIC, food stamps, medicaid, and child care assistance.

He is not responsible for providing you with a place to live.

Just so you're not screwed or homeless, I suggest you start looking for employment because he is not obligated to pay you spousal support; you were never married. He is only obligated to pay child support and depending on where you live, in the state of NY the percentage is 17% of their pay. Another thing, don't think the judge will not award him custody because he works to much, that's not a reason. He has a source of income, you don't. He'll have shelter, you won't, and he'll have the means to take care of his child. So, please don't take that thought you have of him not getting his child for granted, you will be highly disappointed if the judge rules in his favor.

Start getting your act together, look for employment to show the judge that you are looking for means to support yourself and your child. Your soon to be ex boyfriend is not obligated to take care of you!

• B

Nope no spousal support, you wouldn't be entitled to that unless you were married at least 10 years so even if you had been married you would not be getting that. Child support will be around $500.00 a month.

Unfortunately he is not required to help you with anything and doesn't have to pay a dime until the court orders it so my advice is to file a child support petition as soon as possible. You will also need to go to Social services and if they help you I believe they use the child support as income and reduce your assistance based on how much you receive.

• Amy

You wouldn't get spousal support after only five years together anyway. You will be entitled to child support if you are granted primary physical custody.

You will probably have to get a real job, or a second job, just like the rest of us did.

Since you are not married, and not judging, he can only pay child support. Talk to a social worker to help because it is free. He has to pay!

Source(s): wife of attorney

I know everyone will not agree but being a housewife sucks because you are putting your life into someone else's hands. Did you ever think about what would you do if something happens to him? You still would end up homeless.

you will get child support not spousal support and its not going to be enough for you and your child so you need to start looking for a job now!!!

You'll get child support. Not spousal support and no, he doesn't have to help you find a place to live.

You'll get around 500 bucks child support and no alimony.

I suggest you start putting in a bit more than 2 days a week.