Buy A Canon Or Nikon?

I am looking around for a camera for my Photography A level which needs to be at least an entry level DSLR, I can afford to spend around £400 to £500 and was wondering if I should buy a Canon or Nikon?

I have been looking at a few cameras Canon EOS 500D, Canon EOS 1000D, Nikon D80/90.

Just wondering if anyone had any opinions, experiences or advice, thanks! (: xxx

• ?
    Favorite Answer

I would suggest Nikon D3100 14.2MP Digital SLR Camera

* 14.2-megapixel DX-format CMOS image sensor;

* 3-inch monitor with One-Touch Live View shooting and movie capture

* Full 1080p HD Cinematic Video with full-time autofocus and sound

* Easy-To-Use Nikon Guide Mode with intuitive controls and on-board assistance

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-D3100-18-55vr-Kit/dp...

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?...

D80/90 cameras are in a different league to the 500D and 1000D. The D80/90 cameras would be equivalent to the Canon 60D which are all advanced amateur cameras.

Of the ones you've mentioned the D80 and D90 are far superior to a Canon. However think about the saving you'll make with a 1000D or a D80. You can get a 50mm f1.8 lens, and probably some lighting equipment too without breaking the budget.

Just don't forget that the camera is just a box. You will need lenses and other equipment.

Of these 4 I would avoid the D80, that's outdated by todays standards. The D90 offers the most bang for your buck, a very good camera with plenty of room to grow.

The 500d is, more or less, a 550d but not so heavy on the video. A 1000d is a very basic entry model. I don't like both very much, extremely poor ergonomics to my mind

Source(s): jw

Hey,

1000D is the lowest. It has 10 megapixels, Live View and great image quality in a small and light body. The D80 is next, with 10 megapixels, bigger and better body and same great quality (all below 1500$ have 99% same quality at ISO 100-400).

Then we have 500D and D90. The 500D has a bad sensors (was fixed in T2i and beats all others) and the D90 is an excellent choice. It's got 12MP, HD movie, 4.5fps, 3.0 LCD screen and a great body.

Here's a post called 'Buying a DSLR, what's important, megapixels, features, brand, price, quality and which one to get - http://www.the-dslr-photographer.com/2009/03/which...

Good luck!

Warning Warning Danger of Flames Seriously Canon versus Nikon is a case of very equal fighters.. when one improves a bit the other tries to get better again and so on. In short both are equal.. go to a store hold the camera.. check the placement of the buttons. See how YOU PERSONALLY feel with the camera. Find the camera for YOU.. YOU .. yes YOU.. If you buy a camera but are not happy with how it works.. well that wouldn't be smart right. So seriously go to a camera store and hold the cameras..

Me i would go with canon since i tried them and they are really great.

Canon for sure

Source(s): my dad is a pro

Nikon is the best. Canon is ok, but it is pricey and in low quality

both are good but i would go with Nikon