Does it really cost less to have a fixed rate of gas ?

I am single living in one-bed room apartment. Lately, I have received an email from the gas company (Columbia Gas) suggesting me to have a fixed rate of 75 cent per CCF for the following year. I was wondering that if it really cost less to have a fixed rate of 75 cent. I am in Ohio, and the heater of my apartment use gas. So, anyone can have more thoughts on this for me ? Thanks!!

Favorite Answer

It can cost less. If you are on a tight budget then a fixed price will maintain consistency and help you avoid late fees you might have been charged if gas prices shot up leaving you with little money to pay bills.

the only reason the gas company would be making that offer is is they they will be making a lot of profit off it

how does that price compare to the avg cost per CCF you paid in the last 12 months? - look at your gas bills and figure it out

• rmm

It would all depend on the change in the cost of gas over the year. It's a gamble.

The rate they proposed is probably higher than it is right now (check your previous bills).

If you accept it, you are gambling and will win if gas rates greatly increase. They will win if they stay the same or decrease.

It's kind of like buying insurance, sometimes it is necessary, but you hope to never use it (and lose yet win)