Why do people make fun of ginger hair?

I'm a brunette but my sister is naturally ginger.

When my sister was at school she was bullied badly for being ginger and people kept on calling her names. She eventually died her hair brown to match mine because she felt embarrassed about being ginger.

I've also heard that a lot of people ginger hair are bullied. Why? It's only a hair colour..

Suggested category - Food & Drink > Cooking & Recipes

lol wtf?

Favorite Answer

Maybe it's because they stand out.

Blondes are picked on too, all the dumb blonde jokes.

My family is full of redheads so I don't really get what's so strange about it.

Redheads are supposed to have fiery tempers so surely it make more sense NOT to p*ss them off by calling them names !

@Jay Sorry but people where picking on gingers when I was a kid, long before Adam Sandler was born. He just jumped on a bandwagon.

Because society expects them too. Over the years it's become a stereotype to mock certain types of people, most often those that stand out slightly. Ginger hair is more unusual and striking than other colours and so is a natural target for nasty horrible insecure people who project their own self hate onto others. Its the same with people who are viewed as overweight or too tall/short. I suppose when people see someone else getting all the bullying and name calling they feel glad and safe that its not them, and so may join in to avoid standing out. Its a really sad thing, but often people grow out of such childishness :/

I personally don't understand why people make fun of people with red hair?

I guess people make fun of ginger head because this hair color is comparatively different and unique. Black, brunettes and blond hair color is thought to be normal throughout the world. But people just make fun of everything they come across with. They say blonds are dumb, brunettes are no fun, and people with red hair are gingers. They do it just for the heck of it.

However I do think the color is so radiant and it's beautifully unique.

It's Adam Sandler's fault, he started it all with the O'Doyle family in his Happy Madison productions!

Source(s): Happy Madison Films.