qqqm2k asked in 社會與文化語言 · 9 years ago

分詞構句&分詞片語

1. Those of us used to German being the first section in the Collins will take a while to adjust , .....

請問此句中的those是指什麼?是dictionary嗎?而used to 是省略關代的形容詞子句嗎?另外,used to 、German 、being三者之間的文法結構關係是什麼?

雖然第一感是把those看成dictionary,但如果把used to翻成習慣於某事物的話(be used to doing sth 的片語),似乎those 代替前面提過的dictionary這一說法又不通了。而句中用being跟be used to之後須接現在分詞有關係嗎?我只看過be used to接名詞或現在分詞,卻第一次看到兩種同時出現,真的很疑惑。

全文如下:

The biggest change can be seen in the new Collins Fifth Edition. Formerly the "Collins PONS," the new Collins partnership drops Pons in favor of the German publisher Langenscheidt. One minor disconcerting difference caused by this change is that the German-to-English now comes second, after the English-to-German. Those of us used to German being the first section in the Collins will take a while to adjust, but in return we get an improved dictionary with more entries.(以上摘自"Two Advanced German Dictionaries - Learn German"~http://german.about.com/od/vocabulary/a/advancedic...

2a . Well-suited to the technical capabilities of the lute, they mixed passages in chordal style, running scale passages, and alternation of high and low phrases that suggested the many-voiced texture of polyphonic music.

分詞構句主詞應相同,但前半句Well-suited…….原本的主詞似乎是keyboard,因此是不是需使用獨立分詞構句的方法呢?

2b. In succeeding decades a second style arose, characterized by melodic imitation reminiscent of the motet.

我看了很多有關分詞構句或非限定用法(補述用法)的資料,而且以前也學過,非限定用法不可省略關代,例如:My father is going to travel abroad , who just come back from China last week .

He is my friend Peter , who works in a bookstore .

可是這句卻沒有關係代名詞,難道說這裡並不是非限定用法,如果不是,那為何又要使用逗號呢?如果為限定用法,characterized by melodic imitation reminiscent of the motet是不是應放在a second style 的後面語意較為清楚呢?

這樣的句子看過很多了,但就是不解,為何可以省略which (be)

Update:

第二題的全文如下(字數限制的關係,分成三部份):Ricercare, (Italian: “to seek out”)plural ricercari, also spelled ricercar, musical composition for instruments in which one or more themes are developed through melodic imitation; it was prominent in the 16th and 17th centuries.

Update 2:

The earliest ricercari, which were for the lute, appeared in late 15th-century manuscripts and in a publication dated 1507. Soon thereafter the style was adopted in keyboard music.

Update 3:

Well-suited to the technical capabilities of the lute, they mixed passages in chordal style, running scale passages, and alternation of high and low phrases that suggested the many-voiced texture of polyphonic music.

Update 4:

針對2b我再補充幾個疑惑的例子。

Railroads spread across both continients , transporting people and goods more rapidly .

Nationalism was an increasingly important force , linking opera to broader political and culture currents .

Update 5:

如果以上兩句是分詞構句。原本應該會有連接詞,這裡加and 好像也怪怪的,如果是關係子句的非限定用法,則前述的問題又出現了,而且用來修飾Railroads及Nationalism的形容詞子句語主詞相隔這麼遠也不是很理想吧。

Update 6:

很感謝LionEnglish大大的提醒,我不想在此為我的態度多做辯解,因為你已經點出知識加的內涵:不管問題的解決是否完美,互助才是這裡最可貴的。

Update 7:

很感謝LionEnglish大大的提醒,我不想在此為我的態度多做辯解,因為你已經點出知識加的內涵:不管問題的解決是否完美,互助才是這裡最可貴的。

Update 8:

To Jessie:

I am confused about your opinion on Q.2b .If "transporting people"can become "that transport people" , this means that it could be a non-definitive relative clause . At this veiwpoint , why can it omit the relative pronoun ? Isn't it contradictory ?

Update 9:

To Jessie:

You say because there are two nouns before the depedent clause , we need to use "that" as a relative pronoun other than "which" .

Update 10:

But I found there are also two nouns before that of the sentence "Nationalism ..." , namely "NATIONALISM" and "FORCE" . Could you explain more explicitly ?

Update 11:

To Kevin :

You are right . I can not get rid of the grammar rules . Being able to comprehend the meaning sentences express , I can not help seeking what rules they use .Maybe , like Jessie said , I should take it easy

3 Answers

Rating
  • Kevin
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Hi, I think you’ve gotten them all wrong in the first place.(1)I think you should be familiar with a gerund, but not necessarily with “a gerund with a subject ahead of it,” which is a reduced version of a noun clause. It’s often used when a noun clause serves as an object of a preposition:The house is near the train station. (A)They are satisfied with the fact that the house is near the train station. (B)They are satisfied with the house being near the train station. (C)B, which is a bit redundant, is reduced to C, which contains a gerund (being) and its subject (the house).What confuses you is D, which is the reduced version of E and means they are satisfied with the house per se but not necessarily the location of it. They are satisfied with the house near the train station. (D)They are satisfied with the house which/that is near the train station. (E)It is in D and E that a relative pronoun, and hence an adjective clause, has its role.So, the sentence means:Those readers who are used to the fact that German was the first section in the Collins will take a while to adjust, …(2)According to the paragraph you offered, sentence 2a means:Recercari were well-suited to the technical capabilities of the lute, and they mixed passages in chordal style, running scale passages, and alternation of high and low phrases that suggested the many-voiced texture of polyphonic music.And 2b means:In succeeding decades a second style arose, and it was characterized by melodic imitation reminiscent of the motet.Both are examples of participle phrases used in different ways to make an otherwise plain sentence more concise and stylish. Likewise, there is no roles for relative pronouns here, not to mention the usage being restrictive or not.The same is for the other two examples you said you didn’t quite understand. Try not to use grammar rules to examine what native speakers write, but the other way around: to learn and appreciate how they express an idea.

2010-10-07 22:33:05 補充:

To be frank, I have always been a grammar guy, only now with a more open mind, accepting what the natives use even though they don't fit into the rules I have learned. Appreciate them, and you make the most of them.

• Jessie
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

1) "used to" is a phrase. it's not 省略關代的形容詞子句

http://tw.dictionary.yahoo.com/dictionary?p=used+t...

used to + object. so GERMAN is an object here.

" those of us" means " we" or " people" or " those who".

Those of us used to German( THAT) being the first section in the Collins......

" THAT ARE" that is skimmed. then, " ARE" is changed to " being".

2b. In succeeding decades a second style arose, characterized by melodic imitation reminiscent of the motet.

""""""I agree with you on 2b. You are right on this part."""""""""""

PS:

Nationalism was an increasingly important force , linking opera to broader political and culture currents .

NATIONALISM = IMPORTANT FORCE....so" which links opera to broader political and culture currents" IS ADJECTIVE CLAUSE TO " important force"...and it's also indirctively adjective to " nationalism".

Railroads spread across both continients , transporting people and goods more rapidly .

" railroads and continients" are two different nouns here.....IN " ( that) transport people and goods more rapidly" THAT IS SKIMMED. When there are two nouns before the dependent clasue, we use " that" . it's a little bit confusing when THAT is skimmed. but in this case it's obivious " CONTINIENTS" can't transport goods.....so we now " transporting people and goods are more rapidly" is adjective clause to " RAILROADS".

2010-10-06 08:07:03 補充:

well, you are very good at Engish. Take it easy.....

• 9 years ago

對不起,我注意到你問過一個類似的問題,給 Louis 兩顆星的評價。你如果可以講出 Louis 的回答在你心中,只值兩顆星的理由,能讓人信服,也許有高手還願意回答你的問題。

這裡很多回答的人,在實際世界一小時可以賺多少錢,你知道嗎?他們在這裡回答,純是幫助和榮譽。分數值什麼?等級算什麼?

你花很多錢上補習班,都未必能遇到老師,程度像這個版裡的許多免費指導者。

受幫助的人,不存感謝的心,以為憑分數可以任意頤指氣使,那是在折殺自己免費學習機會!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.