Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleSkin & BodyTattoos · 9 years ago

coloured tattoos does it hurt more?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

No color doesn't hurt more. I have four tattoos only one colored but it didn't hurt anymore than the others. I was told it did and the guy even messed with me cause i said that he said yeah its cause the needle has to go in FURTHER what a jerk (he was a friend) cause it was not anymore pain than the rest.

• 4 years ago

Some people perceive the color or shading portions of the tattoo to be more painful, however this is not because gray or colored ink is any more painful than black ink. As other have mentioned, usually a larger group of needles is used in shading and coloring as so the artist may cover more area, rather than an outline, which (if it is a thin one) may have only one or a couple needles. There are very few tattoos out there that are just outlines though, as most tattoos (whether color or traditional black and gray) have some form of shading or filler, making the vast majority of all tattoos equally as pain-inflicting. One example of how a non-colored tattoo could even be more painful than one with color would be large tribal designs, in which many needles are used as once, more than what would would be used for a small or medium colored tattoo. In short: it is the number of needles, not the color of the ink... that bothers some people. Personally? I don't feel a significant difference between outlines and shading/color. As for your ankle being more painful... perhaps, again- as others have said- the closer to the bone your tattoo is, the more painful many people find it to be. Everyone is different, their experiences, their pain tolerance, their artist's technique, etc. so no one can accurately describe to you how your experience will be. I can, however, tell you that the majority of all people I know said it is "not as bad" as they expected.

• 9 years ago

i have a few tattoos and i have done some on myself including outlining shading/color the way you apply color on a tattoo is basically the same way you would shade. it varies from person to person alot of people on here say it hurts more shading but to me the outline hurt way more than the shading. basically because you have to turn up the speed on your machine a little for a better more uniform line. i noticed it hurt a little less when i put a little bit of petroleum to help the needles glide across a little easier

• 9 years ago

Yes, I have a sleeve of black and gray pin-ups, Only one of the pin-ups are colored in( Zombie) but the amount of shading that goes into a color tattoo is greater then black and gray, the tattoo artist will also have to hit the same raw spot many times with different shades of the same color.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

l personally find the outlining hurt a bit more than the colouring but it depends on your pain threshold.

Source(s): Inked
  • 9 years ago

no, the color doesn't matter. i have the sf giants logo and the black outline actually hurt more than the filled in orange park. its not the color though, its where the ink actually goes. Goodluck :)

• 9 years ago

black or colour, doesn't matter, still feels the same...it's the shading vs the outline....for me the shading feels more intense

• the shading hurts more than the outline. so yes. it also depends on where you put it.

Source(s): have multiple tattoos
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

colors dont hurt more or less. i would say shading hurts the most

• 9 years ago

JOR IS CORRECT

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.