People say marijuana isn't a drug but if that's true.....?

Then why is cocaine and heroine considered a drug?

Marijuana is from a natural plant as we all know, so people say it is not a drug, well so is cocaine and heroine.

Cocaine is a white powder made from an extract of the leaves of the coca plant indigenous to South America.

Most heroin originates from opium poppy farms in SW Asia (the "Golden Crescent," primarily Afghanistan and Pakistan), SE Asia (the "Golden Triangle," primarily in Myanmar), and Latin American (primarily Colombia).

Poppy seeds, opium and coca plants are all natural unless I was misinformed, so why are they drugs and marijuana isn't?

@ Prison officer: True the law considers them all drugs, but millions of regular people do not.

@ anyone willing to read this part: I am not asking to start a fight, I was just curious if there was a legitimte reason for it. Figured maybe I would learn something new.

Favorite Answer

A drug is technically anything that is not considered a food (nourishment) and yet affects your body or mind in some way. At least that's how it was explained to me back in third grade :) Anyway, the fact that it comes from something natural does not make it any less of a drug. Probably the argument you were getting was that it is less harmful than some drugs as it is natural (i.e. not synthetic.) Well, if that is true, then would cyanide be considered less harmful because it occurs naturally? How about arsenic? It is a naturally occuring element. Could that be less harmful? I don't buy the whole "organic" thing.

However, that being said, pot is non-addictive (though a lot of people are addicted to what it does to them) and is no more harmful than cigarettes, and probably a lot less harmful than alcohol. That, however, has nothing to do with how "natural" it is.

All of them have been classified as drugs. Why do you think that tons of Marijuana are sized at the Border with Mexico? Marijuana can also be grown in parts of the U.S. and it is still illegal.

Source(s): Retired Law-Enforcement Officer.

marijuana is a drug... it's just not always considered a bad drug. More of a herb i'd say

whoever thinks it's not a drug is stupid, they just wanan pretend there not doing one but they are. they can say its not a bad drug but at the end of the day its still a drug. changes your personality, and other things.

Marijuana is not a drug

Marijuana is an herb and a flower.

It is a drug....but a healing drug....

Believe that.